ON THE USE OF THE STEIN VARIANCE ESTIMATOR IN THE DOUBLE k-CLASS ESTIMATOR IN REGRESSION
AbstractThis paper investigates the predictive mean squared error performance of a modified double k-class estimator by incorporating the Stein variance estimator. Recent studies show that the performance of the Stein rule estimator can be improved by using the Stein variance estimator. However, as we demonstrate below, this conclusion does not hold in general for all members of the double k-class estimators. On the other hand, an estimator is found to have smaller predictive mean squared error than the Stein variance-Stein rule estimator, over quite large parts of the parameter space.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Econometric Reviews.
Volume (Year): 21 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/LECR20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- pri - - - - - -
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- sec - - - - - -
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ullah, Aman & Ullah, Shobha, 1978. "Double k-Class Estimators of Coefficients in Linear Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 705-22, May.
- Gelfand, Alan E. & Dey, Dipak K., 1988. "Improved estimation of the disturbance variance in a linear regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 387-395, November.
- Carter, R. A. L., 1981. "Improved Stein-rule estimator for regression problems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 113-123, September.
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro, 1996. "Further improving the Stein-rule estimator using the Stein variance estimator in a misspecified linear regression model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 191-199, September.
- Srivastava, V. K. & Chaturvedi, A., 1986. "A necessary and sufficient condition for the dominance of an improved family of estimators in linear regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 345-349.
- Vinod, H. D., 1980.
"Improved stein-rule estimator for regression problems,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 143-150, February.
- Vinod, H. D., 1981. "Improved Stein-rule estimator for regression problems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 125-125, September.
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro, 1988. "Optimal levels of significance of a pre-test in estimating the disturbance variance after the pre-test for a linear hypothesis on coefficients in a linear regression," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 151-156.
- Akio Namba, 2003. "On the use of the Stein variance estimator in the double k-class estimator when each individual regression coefficient is estimated," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 117-124, January.
- Helen X. H. Bao & Alan T. K. Wan, 2007. "Improved Estimators of Hedonic Housing Price Models," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(3), pages 267-302.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.