Performance in European higher education: A non-parametric production frontier approach
AbstractThis study examines technical efficiency in European higher education (HE) institutions. To measure efficiency, we consider the capacity of each HE institution, on one hand, to provide competencies to graduates and, on the other hand, to match competencies provided during education to competencies required in the job. We use a large sample of young graduates interviewed three years after graduation from 209 HE institutions among eight European countries. A non-parametric approach (Data Envelopment Analysis) is used to evaluate efficiency of converting multiple inputs into multiple outputs. Objectives selected are consistent as the same types of institution are found to be efficient in different specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Education Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=104532
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cherchye, Laurens & Vanden Abeele, Pierre, 2002.
"On research efficiency: a micro-analysis of Dutch university research in economics and business management,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/138359, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Cherchye, L. & Abeele, P. Vanden, 2005. "On research efficiency: A micro-analysis of Dutch university research in Economics and Business Management," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 495-516, May.
- Laurens Cherchye & Piet Vanden Abeele, 2002. "On Research Efficiency: A Micro-Analysis of Dutch University Research in Economics and Business Management," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0206, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Javier A. Luque, 2002.
"Efficiency and Equity in Schools around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
8949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heijke,Hans & Meng,Christoph & Ris,Catherine, 2003.
"Fitting to the Job: the Role of Generic and Vocational Competencies in Adjustment and Performance,"
001, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Heijke, Hans & Meng, Christoph & Ris, Catherine, 2003. "Fitting to the job: the role of generic and vocational competencies in adjustment and performance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 215-229, April.
- Heijke, Hans & Meng, Christoph & Ris, Catherine, 2003. "Fitting to the job: the role of generic and vocational competencies in adjustment and performance," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13461, Maastricht University.
- Melville L. McMillan & Debasish Datta, 1998. "The Relative Efficiencies of Canadian Universities: A DEA Perspective," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(4), pages 485-511, December.
- Paul Ryan, 2001. "The School-to-Work Transition: A Cross-National Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 34-92, March.
- Brunello, Giorgio, 2001. "On the Complementarity between Education and Training in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 309, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 1993.
"Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 45(2), pages 332-47, April.
- G. Johnes & J. Johnes, . "Measuring the Research Performance of UK Economics Departments: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers ec17/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Post, Thierry & Spronk, Jaap, 1999. "Performance benchmarking using interactive data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 472-487, June.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 2000. "Returns to firm-provided training: evidence from French worker-firm matched data1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Barron, John M & Black, Dan A & Loewenstein, Mark A, 1989. "Job Matching and On-the-Job Training," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Martin G. Kocher & Mikulas Luptacik & Matthias Sutter, 2001.
"Measuring Productivity of Research in Economics. A Cross-Country Study Using DEA,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp077, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Kocher, Martin G. & Luptacik, Mikulas & Sutter, Matthias, 2006. "Measuring productivity of research in economics: A cross-country study using DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 314-332, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji, 1992.
"The Effects of High School Curriculum on Education and Labor Market Outcomes,"
NBER Working Papers
4142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Altonji, 1995. "The Effects of High School Curriculum on Education and Labor Market Outcomes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(3), pages 409-438.
- Zuzana Kučerová, 2012. "Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 110-125.
- Mariana Cunha & Vera Rocha, 2012. "On the Efficiency of Public Higher Education Institutions in Portugal: An Exploratory Study," FEP Working Papers 468, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Monaco, Luisa, 2011. "Measuring Italian university efficiency: a non-parametric approach," MPRA Paper 37949, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 29 Feb 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.