On research efficiency: A micro-analysis of Dutch university research in Economics and Business Management
AbstractWe argue that efficiency assessments of academic research should focus on micro-units of research production rather than on conventionally employed (aggregated) macro-units, and show that such a detailed analysis of research performance provides interesting insights. In addition, we propose a non-parametric methodology that is specially tailored for analyzing the productive efficiency of research: it starts from a specification of the managerial objectives of research activities while imposing minimal structure on the (typically unknown) production technology. We illustrate our points by assessing the productive efficiency of research in Economics and Business Management faculties at Dutch universities. Next to measuring productive efficiency, we look for specific patterns in efficiency distributions over universities, years and areas of specialization. In addition, we investigate the impact of external funding and of the size of research programs on academic research efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 34 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Other versions of this item:
- Laurens Cherchye & Piet Vanden Abeele, 2002. "On Research Efficiency: A Micro-Analysis of Dutch University Research in Economics and Business Management," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0206, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kocher, Martin G. & Luptacik, Mikulas & Sutter, Matthias, 2006.
"Measuring productivity of research in economics: A cross-country study using DEA,"
Socio-Economic Planning Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 314-332, December.
- Martin G. Kocher & Mikulas Luptacik & Matthias Sutter, 2001. "Measuring Productivity of Research in Economics. A Cross-Country Study Using DEA," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp077, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- P. Korhonen & R. Tainio & J. Wallenius, 1998.
"Value Efficiency Analysis of Academic Research,"
ir98032, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Graves, Philip E & Marchand, James R & Thompson, Randal, 1982. "Economics Departmental Rankings: Research Incentives, Constraints, and Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1131-41, December.
- Peter Bogetoft, 1996. "DEA on Relaxed Convexity Assumptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 457-465, March.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Savvides, Andreas & Stengos, Thanasis, 2004. "Research spillovers among European and North-American economics departments," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 191-202, April.
- John R. Hauser, 1998. "Research, Development, and Engineering Metrics," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-1), pages 1670-1689, December.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Cordero, Rene, 1990. "The measurement of innovation performance in the firm: An overview," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 185-192, April.
- Haelermans, Carla & Ruggiero, John, 2013. "Estimating technical and allocative efficiency in the public sector: A nonparametric analysis of Dutch schools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(1), pages 174-181.
- Zoghbi, Ana Carolina & Rocha, Fabiana & Mattos, Enlinson, 2013. "Education production efficiency: Evidence from Brazilian universities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 94-103.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Rock, Bram & Vermeulen, Frederic, 2006.
"Analyzing Cost Efficient Production Behavior Under Economies of Scope: A Nonparametric Methodology,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2319, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bram De Rock & Laurens Cherchye & Frederic Vermeulen, 2008. "Analyzing cost efficient production behavior under economies of scope: a nonparametric methodology," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7536, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cherchye, L.J.H. & Rock, B. de & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2006. "Analyzing Cost Efficient Production Behavior Under Economies of Scope: A Nonparametric Methodology," Discussion Paper 2006-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bolli, Thomas & Somogyi, Frank, 2011. "Do competitively acquired funds induce universities to increase productivity?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 136-147, February.
- Raul Ramos & Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach, 2006. "An analysis of the determinants in economics and business publications by spanish universities between 1994 and 2004," IREA Working Papers 200602, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Groot, Tom & Garcia-Valderrama, Teresa, 2006. "Research quality and efficiency: An analysis of assessments and management issues in Dutch economics and business research programs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1362-1376, November.
- Bruffaerts, C. & De Rock, B. & Dehon, C., 2013.
"The robustness of the hyperbolic efficiency estimator,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 349-363.
- Christopher Bruffaerts & Bram De Rock & Catherine Dehon, 2013. "The robustness of the hyperbolic efficiency estimator," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/131706, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jiménez, Fernando & Zabala Iturriagagoitia, Jon Mikel & Zofío, José Luis, 2007. "Efficiency in Public Research Centers: Evaluating the Spanish Food Technology Program," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/04, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Haelermans, Carla & De Witte, Kristof & Blank, Jos L.T., 2012. "On the allocation of resources for secondary schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 575-586.
- De Witte, K. & Rogge, N., 2010.
"To publish or not to publish? On the aggregation and drivers of research performance,"
33, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
- Rogge, Nicky & De Witte, Kristof, 2009. "To publish or not to publish? On the aggregation and drivers of research performance," Working Papers 2009/42, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Othman Joumady & Catherine Ris, 2005. "Performance in European higher education: A non-parametric production frontier approach," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 189-205.
- António Afonso & Mariana Santos, 2005. "Students and Teachers: A DEA Approach to the Relative Efficiency of Portuguese Public Universities," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/07, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.