Conditional and unconditional food demand elasticities in a dynamic multistage demand system
AbstractThis paper estimates conditional and unconditional demand elasticities in a three stage analysis of consumer demand for food and non-food items in Greece. A dynamic version of the AIDS model is specified and estimated, and full system misspecification tests applied. Correction formulas for price and expenditure elasticities are used to calculate unconditional elasticities from conditional demand sub-systems. All food items rank as price inelastic. Deviations between the calculated conditional and unconditional price and expenditure elasticities are found to be significant, demonstrating the importance of correcting conditional elasticities before they can be used for policy purposes or welfare analyses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arabatzis, Garyfallos & Klonaris, Stathis, 2009. "An analysis of Greek wood and wood product imports: Evidence from the linear quadratic aids," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 266-270, July.
- Feleke, Shiferaw T. & Liu, Hongyan, 2005. "Aggregate Demand for Imported Whole Milk in Spain: Implications for the European Union (EU)," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 36(02), July.
- Silva, Andres & Dharmasena, Senarath, 2013. "Modeling Seasonal Unit Roots as a Simple Empirical Method to Handle Autocorrelation in Demand Systems: Evidence from UK Expenditure Data," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149928, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gohin, A. & Chantret, F., 2010. "The long-run impact of energy prices on world agricultural markets: The role of macro-economic linkages," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 333-339, January.
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H., 2011. "How Much Do Consumers Benefit from New Brand Introductions? The Case of Potato Chips," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- repec:ags:mareec:28155 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haydar Sengul & Seda Sengul, 2006. "Food consumption and economic development in Turkey and European Union countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2421-2431.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.