Dynamics and Long-run Structure in U.S. Meat Demand
AbstractEmpirical analysis, based on a general dynamic Almost Ideal Demand System, shows the commonly used autoregressive and partial adjustment processes are restrictive to meat demand data. This study derives a linear specification in levels form to investigate dynamics in a general framework. Merging a long-run steady state structure with short-run dynamics results in consistent and robust long-run demand elasticities. Journal article in Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 41 (1993), 139-153.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University in its series Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications with number 88-wp38.
Date of creation: Apr 1988
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- T. Kesavan & Zuhair A. Hassan & Helen H. Jensen & Stanley R. Johnson, 1993. "Dynamics and Long-run Structure in U.S. Meat Demand," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 41(2), pages 139-153, 07.
- T. Kesavan & Zuhair A. Hassan & Helen H. Jensen & Stanley R. Johnson, 1988. "Dynamics and Long-run Structure in U.S. Meat Demand," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 88-wp38, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Kesavan, T. & Hassan, Zuhair A. & Jensen, Helen H. & Johnson, Stanley R., 1993. "Dynamics and Long-Run Structure in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 635, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Blundell, Richard, 1988. "Consumer Behaviour: Theory and Empirical Evidence--a Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 16-65, March.
- Breusch, Trevor S & Wickens, Michael R, 1987. "Dynamic Specification, the Long Run and the Estimation of Transformed Regression Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 154, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hendry, David F. & Richard, Jean-Francois, 1982. "On the formulation of empirical models in dynamic econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 3-33, October.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Galbraith, John W & Dolado, Juan, 1990. "Dynamic Specification and Linear Transformations of the Autoregressive-Distributed Lag Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(1), pages 95-104, February.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Savin, N Eugene, 1975. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Singular Equation Systems with Autoregressive Disturbances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 937-57, Sept.-Nov.
- Bewley, Ronald & Fiebig, Denzil G, 1990.
"Why Are Long-run Parameter Estimates So Disparate?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 345-49, May.
- Bewley, R. & Fiebig, D.G., 1989. "Why Are Long-Run Parameter Estimates So Disparate?," Papers 89-3, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Error Correction, Partial Adjustment and All That: An Expository Note," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(2), pages 119-29, May.
- Anderson, G J & Blundell, R W, 1982. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing in Dynamic Singular Equation Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1559-71, November.
- Anderson, Gordon & Blundell, Richard, 1983. "Testing Restrictions in a Flexible Dynamic Demand System: An Application to Consumers' Expenditure in Canada," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 397-410, July.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1991. "When Is Expenditure "Exogenous" In Separable Demand Models?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Bewley, R. A., 1979. "The direct estimation of the equilibrium response in a linear dynamic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 357-361.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris K., 2000. "The demand for energy in Greek manufacturing," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 569-586, October.
- Jones, Keithly G. & Harvey, David J., 2006. "Evaluating the Economic Impact of Countervailing Duties on United States Warm Water Shrimp Imports," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21118, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Okrent, Abigail M. & MacEwan, Joanna P., 0. "The Effects of Prices, Advertising, Expenditures, and Demographics on Demand for Nonalcoholic Beverages," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association.
- Mazzocchi, Mario & Stefani, Gianluca, 2002. "Consumer Welfare and the Loss Induced by Withheld Information: The Case of BSE in Italy," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24927, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dhehibi, B. & Gil, J. M., 2003. "Forecasting food demand in Tunisia under alternative pricing policies," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 167-186, April.
- Jones, Keithly G. & Hahn, William F. & Davis, Christopher G., 2003. "Demand for U.S. Lamb and Mutton: A Two Stage Differential Approach," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22122, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Smed, Sinne & Jensen, Jorgen Dejgaard & Denver, Sigrid, 2005. "Differentiated Food Taxes as a Tool in Health and Nutrition Policy," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24579, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Eales, James S. & Hyde, Jeffrey & Schrader, Lee F., 1998. "A Note On Dealing With Poultry In Demand Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Boonsaeng, Tullaya & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2006. "Testing Separability between Import and Domestic Commodities: Application to U.S. Meat Demand in a Dynamic Model," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35267, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Okrent, Abigail M. & MacEwan, Joanna P., 2014. "The Effects of Prices, Advertising, Expenditures, and Demographics on Demand for Nonalcoholic Beverages," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 43(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.