Laplace transforms and American options
AbstractLaplace transform methods are used to study the valuation of American call and put options with constant dividend yield, and to derive integral equations giving the location of the optimal exercise boundary. In each case studied, the main result of this paper is a nonlinear Fredholm-type integral equation for the location of the free boundary. The equations differ depending on whether the dividend yield is less than or exceeds the risk-free rate. These integral equations contain a transform variable, so the solution of the equations would involve finding the free boundary that satisfies the equations for all values of this transform variable. Expressions are also given for the transform of the value of the option in terms of this free boundary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 7 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam & Bin Gao & Jing-zhi Huang, 1998.
"The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-067, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gao, Bin & Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti, 2000. "The valuation of American barrier options using the decomposition technique," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1783-1827, October.
- Walter Allegretto & Giovanni Barone-Adesi & Robert Elliott, 1995. "Numerical evaluation of the critical price and American options," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 69-78.
- Rachel Kuske & Joseph Keller, 1998. "Optimal exercise boundary for an American put option," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 107-116.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "A note on an analytical valuation formula for unprotected American call options on stocks with known dividends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 375-380, December.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1977. "The Valuation of American Put Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 449-62, May.
- Geske, Robert, 1981. "Comments on Whaley's note," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 213-215, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Bunch, David S & Johnson, Herb, 1992. " A Simple and Numerically Efficient Valuation Method for American Puts Using a Modified Geske-Johnson Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 809-16, June.
- Kim, In Joon, 1990. "The Analytic Valuation of American Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 547-72.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.