The valuation of American barrier options using the decomposition technique
AbstractIn this paper, we propose an alternative approach for pricing and hedging non-standard American options. In principle, the proposed approach applies to any kind of American-style contract for which the payoff function has a Markovian representation in the state space. Specifically, we obtain an analytic solution for the value and hedge parameters of barrier options, an important example of path-dependent options. The solution includes standard American options as a special case. The analytic formula also allows us to identify and exploit two key properties of the optimal exercise boundary - homogeneity in price parameters and time-invariance - for American options. In addition, some new put-call ``symmetry" relations are also derived. These properties suggest a new, efficient and integrated approach to pricing and hedging a variety of standard and non-standard American options. From an implementation perspective, this approach avoids the current practice of repetitive computation of option prices and hedge ratios. Our implementation of the analytic formula for barrier options indicates that the proposed approach is both efficient and accurate in computing option values and option hedge parameters. In some cases, our method is substantially faster than existing numerical methods with equal accuracy. In particular, the method overcomes the difficulty that existing numerical methods have in dealing with prices close to the barrier, the case where the barrier matters most.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 24 (2000)
Issue (Month): 11-12 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Other versions of this item:
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam & Bin Gao & Jing-zhi Huang, 1998. "The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-067, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1996. "American Option Valuation: New Bounds, Approximations, and a Comparison of Existing Methods," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1211-50.
- Breen, Richard, 1991. "The Accelerated Binomial Option Pricing Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 153-164, June.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen, 2000. "Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1116-1136, August.
- L.C.G. Rogers & E.J. Stapleton, 1997. "Fast accurate binomial pricing," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 3-17.
- Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti G & Yu, G George, 1996. "Pricing and Hedging American Options: A Recursive Integration Method," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 277-300.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Peter Carr & Katrina Ellis & Vishal Gupta, 1998. "Static Hedging of Exotic Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1165-1190, 06.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Carr, Peter, 1998. "Randomization and the American Put," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 597-626.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Mark Schroder, 1989. "A Reduction Method Applicable to Compound Option Formulas," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(7), pages 823-827, July.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Mark Broadie & Jér�me Detemple, 1997. "The Valuation of American Options on Multiple Assets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 241-286.
- Michael J. P. Selby & Stewart D. Hodges, 1987. "On the Evaluation of Compound Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(3), pages 347-355, March.
- Tebaldi, Claudio, 2005. "Hedging using simulation: a least squares approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1287-1312, August.
- Marc Chesney & Laurent Gauthier, 2006. "American Parisian options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 475-506, December.
- Antonella Basso & Martina Nardon & Paolo Pianca, 2004. "A two-step simulation procedure to analyze the exercise features of American options," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 35-56, 08.
- Minh Ha-Duong & Benoit Morel, 2003. "The real option with an absorbing barrier," Post-Print halshs-00003976, HAL.
- Dai, Min & Li, Peifan & Zhang, Jin E., 2010. "A lattice algorithm for pricing moving average barrier options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 542-554, March.
- Wei Xiong & Ronnie Sircar, 2004. "Evaluating Incentive Options," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 253, Econometric Society.
- Garcia, Diego, 2003. "Convergence and Biases of Monte Carlo estimates of American option prices using a parametric exercise rule," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1855-1879, August.
- Jérôme B. Detemple, 1999. "American Options: Symmetry Properties," CIRANO Working Papers 99s-45, CIRANO.
- Chung, Y. Peter & Johnson, Herb & Polimenis, Vassilis, 2011. "The critical stock price for the American put option," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 8-14, March.
- Roland Mallier & Ghada Alobaidi, 2000. "Laplace transforms and American options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 241-256.
- J. C. Ndogmo & D. B. Ntwiga, 2007. "High-order accurate implicit methods for the pricing of barrier options," Papers 0710.0069, arXiv.org.
- Sircar, Ronnie & Xiong, Wei, 2007. "A general framework for evaluating executive stock options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2317-2349, July.
- Chung, San-Lin & Shih, Pai-Ta & Tsai, Wei-Che, 2013. "Static hedging and pricing American knock-in put options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 191-205.
- Alfredo Ibáñez, 2003. "Robust Pricing of the American Put Option: A Note on Richardson Extrapolation and the Early Exercise Premium," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1210-1228, September.
- Detemple, Jérôme & Emmerling, Thomas, 2009. "American chooser options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 128-153, January.
- Zvan, R. & Vetzal, K. R. & Forsyth, P. A., 2000. "PDE methods for pricing barrier options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1563-1590, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.