On the Evaluation of Compound Options
AbstractCompound option valuation formulae give rise to the summation of a series of multinormal distribution functions. This paper presents an identity on sums of nested multinormal distributions of arbitrary dimension. We show that this identity generalizes some well-known low order identities for the multinormal distribution. We present three applications of the new identity to contingent claims valuation problems. The first and second applications show that by reducing significantly the number of integrals to be evaluated, faster and more accurate algorithms can be developed for implementing the Geske-Johnson American put valuation formula and the Roll-Geske-Whaley American call formula; the third gives new economic insights into the valuation of disaggregated coupon bonds.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 33 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
American call; American put; computational efficiency; contingent claims; coupon bonds; identity; multinormal; nested;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stylianos PERRAKIS & Jean LEFOLL, 1999.
"Option Pricing and Replication with Transaction Costs and Dividends,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp8, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Perrakis, Stylianos & Lefoll, Jean, 2000. "Option pricing and replication with transaction costs and dividends," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1527-1561, October.
- Yepes Rodriguez, Ramón, 2008. "Real option valuation of free destination in long-term liquefied natural gas supplies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1909-1932, July.
- Gao, Bin & Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti, 2000.
"The valuation of American barrier options using the decomposition technique,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1783-1827, October.
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam & Bin Gao & Jing-zhi Huang, 1998. "The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-067, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Gukhal, C.R.Chandrasekhar Reddy, 2004. "The compound option approach to American options on jump-diffusions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2055-2074, September.
- Mark Broadie & Jérôme B. Detemple & Eric Ghysels & Olivier Torrès, 1996.
"Nonparametric Estimation of American Options Exercise Boundaries and Call Prices,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome & Ghysels, Eric & Torres, Olivier, 2000. "Nonparametric estimation of American options' exercise boundaries and call prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(11-12), pages 1829-1857, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.