The Analytic Valuation of American Options
AbstractNo analytic solutions exists for the valuation of American options written on futures contracts and foreign currencies for which early exercise may be optimal. This article formulates the American option valuation problem in economically and mathematically meaningful ways. This enables us to derive valuation formulas for American options. The properties associated with the optimal exercise boundary are examined, and a numerical technique to implement the valuation formulas is presented. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 3 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rachel Kuske & Joseph Keller, 1998. "Optimal exercise boundary for an American put option," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 107-116.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2002.
"Evaluation of American Strangles,"
Research Paper Series
83, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Andrew Ziogas & Carl Chiarella, 2003.
"McKean’s Method applied to American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
39, Society for Computational Economics.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2004. "McKean's Methods Applied to American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes," Research Paper Series 117, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Adam Kucera & Andrew Ziogas, 2004. "A Survey of the Integral Representation of American Option Prices," Research Paper Series 118, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2006. "American Call Options on Jump-Diffusion Processes: A Fourier Transform Approach," Research Paper Series 174, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Pierangelo Ciurlia & Ilir Roko, 2005.
"Valuation of American Continuous-Installment Options,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 143-165, February.
- Pierangelo Ciurlia & Ilir Roko, 2004. "Valuation of American Continuous-Installment Options," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 345, Society for Computational Economics.
- Mark Broadie & Jérôme B. Detemple, 1996. "American Options on Dividend-Paying Assets," CIRANO Working Papers 96s-16, CIRANO.
- Roland Mallier & Ghada Alobaidi, 2000. "Laplace transforms and American options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 241-256.
- B. Gao J. Huang, . "The Valuation of American Barrier Options Using the Decomposition Technique," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-002, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Mark Broadie & Jérôme B. Detemple, 1996. "Recent Advances in Numerical Methods for Pricing Derivative Securities," CIRANO Working Papers 96s-17, CIRANO.
- Denis Belomestny & Pavel V. Gapeev, 2006. "An Iteration Procedure for Solving Integral Equations Related to Optimal Stopping Problems," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-043, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Christian Pierdzioch, 2000. "The Effectiveness of the FX Market Interventions of the Bundesbank During the Louvre Period: An Options-Based Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 971, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Manuel Moreno & Javier Navas, 2003.
"On the Robustness of Least-Squares Monte Carlo (LSM) for Pricing American Derivatives,"
Review of Derivatives Research,
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 107-128, May.
- Manuel Moreno & Javier R. Navas, 2001. "On the robustness of least-squares Monte Carlo (LSM) for pricing American derivatives," Economics Working Papers 543, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jérôme B. Detemple & Carlton Osakwe, 1999. "The Valuation of Volatility Options," CIRANO Working Papers 99s-43, CIRANO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.