Optimal exercise boundary for an American put option
AbstractThe optimal exercise boundary near the expiration time is determined for an American put option. It is obtained by using Green's theorem to convert the boundary value problem for the price of the option into an integral equation for the optimal exercise boundary. This integral equation is solved asymptotically for small values of the time to expiration. The leading term in the asymptotic solution is the result of Barles et al. An asymptotic solution for the option price is obtained also.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, In Joon, 1990. "The Analytic Valuation of American Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 547-72.
- Tomas Bokes & Daniel Sevcovic, 2009. "Early exercise boundary for American type of floating strike Asian option and its numerical approximation," Papers 0912.1321, arXiv.org.
- Chung, San-Lin & Shih, Pai-Ta, 2009. "Static hedging and pricing American options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2140-2149, November.
- Daniel Sevcovic, 2007. "An iterative algorithm for evaluating approximations to the optimal exercise boundary for a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation," Papers 0710.5301, arXiv.org.
- Chung, Y. Peter & Johnson, Herb & Polimenis, Vassilis, 2011. "The critical stock price for the American put option," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 8-14, March.
- Roland Mallier & Ghada Alobaidi, 2000. "Laplace transforms and American options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 241-256.
- Hsuan-Ku Liu, 2013. "The Convexity of the Free Boundary for American-style put options," Papers 1304.5337, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.