The gender gap in wages in Russia from 1992 to 1995
AbstractThis paper examines the gender gap in wages in Russia from 1992 to 1995. It uses data on prime aged men and women from the Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS) and focuses on those living in urban areas. Differences in hours of work appear to explain about one half of the gender differential, but there is still a large differential in average hourly wages between men and women. Observable differences in characteristics between men and women explain almost none of the differential or the changes through time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Population Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 29 October 1997/Accepted: 24 January 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guy Lacroix & Natalia Radtchenko, 2011.
"The changing intra-household resource allocation in Russia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 85-106, January.
- Guy Lacroix & Natalia Radtchenko, 2008. "The Changing Intra-Household Resource Allocation in Russia," Cahiers de recherche 0811, CIRPEE.
- Lacroix, Guy & Radtchenko, Natalia, 2008. "The Changing Intra-Household Resource Allocation in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 3733, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tamar Khitarishvili, 2013. "Evaluating the Gender Wage Gap in Georgia, 2004 - 2011," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_768, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Ogloblin, Constantin & Brock, Gregory, 2005. "Wage determination in urban Russia: Underpayment and the gender differential," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 325-343, September.
- Dileni Gunewardena & Darshi Abeyrathna & Amalie Ellagala & Kamani Rajakaruna & Shobana Rajendran, 2008. "Glass Ceilings, Sticky Floors or Sticky Doors? A Quantile Regression Approach to Exploring Gender Wage Gaps in Sri Lanka," Working Papers PMMA 2008-04, PEP-PMMA.
- Susan J. Linz & Anastasia Semykina, 2005.
"Attitudes and Performance: An Analysis of Russian Workers,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp758, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Linz, Susan J. & Semykina, Anastasia, 2008. "Attitudes and performance: An analysis of Russian workers," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 694-717, April.
- Semykina, Anastasia & Linz, Susan J., 2007. "Gender differences in personality and earnings: Evidence from Russia," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 387-410, June.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2003.
"The structure of wages during the economic transition in Romania,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 345-366, December.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel, 1999. "The structure of wages during the economic transition in Romania," FCND discussion papers 57, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Natalia V. Smirnova, 2003. "Re-employment Probabilities and Wage Offer Function for Russian Labor Market," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 547, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ng, Ying Chu, 2006. "Gender Earnings Differentials and Regional Economic Development in Urban China, 1988-97," Working Paper Series RP2006/136, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Johnes, Geraint & Tanaka, Yasuhide, 2008. "Changes in gender wage discrimination in the 1990s: A tale of three very different economies," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 97-113, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.