Start-Up Finance, Monitoring, and Collusion
AbstractI examine optimal financial contracts between entrepreneurs, financial intermediaries (venture capitalists), and other investors that allocate both cash flow rights and control rights to (i) motivate the venture capitalist to efficiently monitor the entrepreneur, (ii) ensure that the efficient decision is made at the interim stage concerning project continuation and refinancing, and (iii) deter collusion between the entrepreneur and the venture capitalist at the expense of the other investors. The combination of asymmetric information at the interim stage with the possibility of collusion yields optimal (collusion-proof) contracts that are consistent with several commonly observed characteristics of venture capital financing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Catherine CASAMATTA & Carole HARITCHABALET, 2013. "Dealing with Venture Capitalists: Shopping Around or Exclusive Negotiation," Working Papers 2013-2014_4, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Sep 2013.
- Casamatta, Catherine & Haritchabalet, Carole, 2007.
"Experience, Screening and Syndication in Venture Capital Investments,"
IDEI Working Papers
443, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Casamatta, Catherine & Haritchabalet, Carole, 2007. "Experience, screening and syndication in venture capital investments," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 368-398, July.
- Ouidad Yousfi, 2013. "Does PLS financing solve asymmetric information problems?," Post-Print hal-00785325, HAL.
- Dominique Demougin & Oliver Fabel, 2006.
"The Division of Ownership in New Ventures,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2006-047, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Oliver Fabel & Dominique Demougin, 2004. "The Division of Ownership in New Ventures," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-03, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002.
"IPOs, Acquisitions and the Use of Convertible Securities in Venture Capital,"
1702r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Hellmann, Thomas, 2006. "IPOs, acquisitions, and the use of convertible securities in venture capital," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 649-679, September.
- Dessi, Roberta, 2009. "Contractual Execution, Strategic Incompleteness and Venture Capital," TSE Working Papers 09-075, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Hueth, Brent & Marcoul, Philippe, 2007. "The Cooperative Firm as Monitored Credit," Staff Paper Series 508, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Andrieu, Guillaume & Groh, Alexander Peter, 2012. "Entrepreneurs' financing choice between independent and bank-affiliated venture capital firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 1143-1167.
- Caselli, Stefano & Garcia-Appendini, Emilia & Ippolito, Filippo, 2013. "Contracts and returns in private equity investments," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 201-217.
- Thierry Tressel & Thierry Verdier, 2011.
"Financial Globalization and the Governance of Domestic Financial Intermediaries,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 130-175, 02.
- Thierry Tressel & Thierry Verdier, 2007. "Financial Globalization and the Governance of Domestic Financial Intermediaries," IMF Working Papers 07/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Dessi, Roberta, 2009. "Contractual Execution, Strategic Incompleteness and Venture Capital," IDEI Working Papers 465, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Carsten Bienz & Uwe Walz, 2006. "Evolution of decision and control rights in venture capital contracts: an empirical analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24637, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.