Innovation And Venture Capital Exits
AbstractThis paper addresses the choice between different exit routes of venture capitalists for a project yielding a quality-improving product innovation. We explicitly introduce product market characteristics into the analysis with the aim to identify their effects on the optimal exit strategy and on the financial contract. Going public can be more profitable than a trade sale (i.e., selling the venture to an existing company) when the new product is sufficiently innovative. This leads to an agency conflict if the entrepreneur enjoys private benefits from staying an independent manager in the firm after the exit of the venture capitalist. The entrepreneur has incentives to distort the innovation strategy so as to make an IPO the preferred exit. We derive the optimal financing strategy under different allocations of control rights and market power. The use of an optimal mix of debt and equity can partially mitigate such a distortion. We also discuss empirical implications and offer partial empirical evidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0111005.
Date of creation: 28 Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document -
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
venture capital; innovation; entrepreneurship; exit; start-up; entrepreneurial finance; IPO; contract theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2001-12-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2001-12-04 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ali-Yrkkö, Jyrki & Hyytinen, Ari & Liukkonen, Johanna, 2001. "Exiting Venture Capital Investments: Lessons from Finland," Discussion Papers 781, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.