Modelli di crisi valutarie e misure di politica economica
AbstractSome recent articles explain the Asian crisis almost exclusively in terms of "fundamentals". The role played by private sector's expectations, however, should also be considered. In my view, then, "escape clause" models exhibiting multiple equilibria within a grey area, especially when integrated with the possibility that expectations may change exogenously so as to modify the grey area itself, allow a better understanding of exchange rate crises. When considering the role played by expectations, the economic policy measures to be adopted in order to assure the stability of financial and currency markets differ from the remedies emerging when those aspects are ignored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economia civile in its journal Moneta e Credito.
Volume (Year): 55 (2002)
Issue (Month): 219 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Tobin, 1996. "A currency transactions tax, why and how," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 493-499, March.
- Flood, Robert P. & Garber, Peter M., 1984. "Collapsing exchange-rate regimes : Some linear examples," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 1-13, August.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986.
"Rational and Self-fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 72-81, March.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1986. "Rational and Self-Fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises," NBER Working Papers 1486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 1999.
"A Simple Model of Monetary Pollicy and Currency Crises,"
99.05, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2000. "A simple model of monetary policy and currency crises," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 728-738, May.
- Philippe AGHION & Philippe BACCHETTA & Abhijit BANERJEE, 1999. "A Simple Model of Monetary Policy and Currency Crises," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9914, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 4(3-4), pages 153-159, Jul/Oct.
- Paul Krugman, 1999. "Balance Sheets, the Transfer Problem, and Financial Crises," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 459-472, November.
- J.A. Kregel, 1998.
"East Asia Is Not Mexico: The Difference between Balance of Payments Crises and Debt Deflations,"
- Jan A. Kregel, 1998. "East Asia Is Not Mexico: The Difference between Balance of Payments Crises and Debt Deflations," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_235, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Rudi Dornbusch, 2001.
"A Primer on Emerging Market Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
8326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Ha-Joon & Palma, Gabriel & Whittaker, D Hugh, 1998. "The Asian Crisis: Introduction," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 649-52, November.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1998. "Korea: The misunderstood crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1555-1561, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The Mirage of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 73-96, Fall.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995. "The mirage of fixed exchange rates," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995. "The Mirage of Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 5191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1994. "The Logic of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 4640, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Tobin, James & Wyplosz, Charles, 1995.
"Two Cases for Sand in the Wheels of International Finance,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(428), pages 162-72, January.
- Barry Eichengreen, James Tobin, and Charles Wyplosz., 1994. "Two Cases for Sand in the Wheels of International Finance," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-045, University of California at Berkeley.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 2000. "The Hazard of Moral Hazard: Untangling the Asian Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 775-788, April.
- Palma, Gabriel, 1998. "Three and a Half Cycles of 'Mania, Panic, and [Asymmetric] Crash': East Asia and Latin America Compared," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 789-808, November.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1998. "The East Asian Financial Crisis: Diagnosis, Remedies, Prospects," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 1-90.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998.
"What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?,"
343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999. "What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Paul Krugman, 1996. "Are Currency Crises Self-Fulfilling?," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1996, Volume 11, pages 345-407 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1993. "The Unstable EMS," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 51-144.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998.
"Financial crises in emerging markets: a canonical model,"
98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: A Canonical Model," Working Papers 98-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Irwin, Gregor & Vines, David, 1999. "A Krugman-Dooley-Sachs Third Generation Model of the Asian Financial Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 2149, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- anonymous, 1998. "The Asian financial crisis: causes and lessons," Economics Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jul, pages 5.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.