The Economic Contribution of Agriculture for Rural Economy? An Application of Input-Output Analysis
AbstractThe paper presents the results of an input-output analysis identifying the role and the economic contribution of agriculture for the economy of rural Vysocina Region. Also the sectors that could most benefit the economic development of the Vysocina Region were revealed. To perform the analysis a regional input-output table was constructed by using GRIT methodology. The economic contribution of agriculture is not insignificant. An increase of agricultural production has not underlying influence on total regional production, however, it can positively affects regional incomes. The reduction of agricultural activities could lead to significant losses in income and employment in agriculture and consequential sectors and inhibit regional development. The strong relationship between agriculture and food processing industry can increase regional income and employment subsequently. Machinery, basic metals, construction, tourism and food processing industry play the significant role in the economic structure and can contribute to an increase of income, employment and production in Vysocina Region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Politická ekonomie.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Postal: Redakce Politické ekonomie, Vysoká škola ekonomická, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Daouli, 2004. "Regional social accounting matrices for structural policy analysis in lagging EU," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 149-178, June.
- Doyle, Chris J & Mitchell, Morag & Topp, Kairsty, 1997. "Effectiveness of Farm Policies on Social and Economic Development in Rural Areas," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(3-4), pages 530-46.
- Gilchrist, Donald A. & St. Louis, Larry V., 1994. "An equilibrium analysis of regional industrial diversification," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 115-133, February.
- Gould, Brian W. & Kulshreshtha, Surendra N., 1986. "An interindustry analysis of structural change and energy use linkages in the Saskatchewan economy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 186-196, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.