Rationing Rules and Outcomes: The Experience of Singapore's Vehicle Quota System
AbstractSince 1990, Singapore has sought to control motor vehicle ownership by means of an auction quota system, whereby prospective vehicle buyers need to obtain a quota license before they can make their purchase. This paper assesses the success of the vehicle quota system in meeting its objectives of stability in motor vehicle growth, flexibility in the motor vehicle mix, and equity among motor vehicle buyers. Two important implementation issues - quota subcategorization and license transferability - are highlighted, and policy lessons are drawn for the design of auction quotas in general. Copyright 2003, International Monetary Fund
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal IMF Staff Papers.
Volume (Year): 50 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Ling Hui Tan, 2001. "Rationing Rules and Outcomes: The Experience of Singapore's Vehicle Quota System," IMF Working Papers 01/136, International Monetary Fund.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Rationing; Licensing
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1979. "The Quality of Imports and the Differential Welfare Effects of Tariffs, Quotas, and Quality Controls as Protective Devices," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 439-49, August.
- Ginsburgh, V. & Weber, S., .
"On the efficiency of retaliation rules in international trade,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1281, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor GINSBURGH & Shlomo WEBER, 1997. "On the Efficiency of Retaliation Rules in International Trade," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 47, pages 51-63.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Shlomo Weber, 1997. "On the efficiency of retaliation rules in international trade," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1711, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Krishna, Kala & Tan, Ling Hui, 1999. "Transferable Licenses versus Nontransferable Licenses: What Is the Difference?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 785-800, August.
- Kala KRISHNA & Ling Hui TAN, 1997. "A Note on India's MFA Quota Allocation System: The Effects of Subcategorization," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 47, pages 39-50.
- Ngee-Choon Chia & Albert K C Tsui & John Whalley, 2001. "Ownership and Use Taxes as Congestion Correcting Instruments," NBER Working Papers 8278, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Phang, Sock-Yong & Wong, Wing-Keung & Chia, Ngee-Choon, 1996. "Singapore's experience with car quotas : Issues and policy processes," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 145-153, October.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-94, December.
- Wang, Rui, 2010. "Shaping urban transport policies in China: Will copying foreign policies work?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 147-152, May.
- Koh, Winston T. H., 2003. "Control of vehicle ownership and market competition: theory and Singapore's experience with the vehicle quota system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 749-770, November.
- Chu, Sing-Fat & Koh, Winston T. H. & Tse, Yiu Kuen, 2004.
"Expectations formation and forecasting of vehicle demand: an empirical study of the vehicle quota auctions in Singapore,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 367-381, June.
- Sing-Fat Chu & Winston T.H. Koh & Yiu Kuen Tse, 2003. "Expectations Formation and Forecasting of Vehicle Demand: An Empirical Study of the Vehicle Quota Auctions in Singapore," Working Papers 02-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.