Heterogeneous efforts in voluntary programmes on food safety
AbstractIn this article, we discuss the efforts made by importers of fresh produce within a voluntary programme on food safety. We show theoretically that the larger the firms the lower their efforts directed at food safety. We test this proposition using original primary data from a voluntary programme implemented by French importers of fresh produce. Our results contrast with evidence from environmental economics that large firms are more likely to be proactive with respect to environmental safeguards. Oxford University Press and Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics 2010; all rights reserved. For permissions, please email email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rouviere, Elodie & Soubeyran, Raphael, 2012. "Small is Beautiful? Firm's Size, Prevention & Food Safety," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123410, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2011.
"Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114398, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2012. "Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123331, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Elodie Rouviere & Raphael Soubeyran, 2011.
"Competition vs. quality in an industry with imperfect traceability,"
AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 3052-3067.
- Rouviere, Elodie & Soubeyran, Raphael, 2010. "Competition Vs. Quality In An Industry With Imperfect Traceability," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116407, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jan Mei Soon & Richard N. Baines, 2013. "Public and Private Food Safety Standards: Facilitating or Frustrating Fresh Produce Growers?," Laws, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 1-19, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.