The Estimation of Investment Equations at the Farm Level
AbstractOn the basis of annual data for individual farms, a model is estimated which explains investment by the Dutch dairy sector in land, buildings, and machinery. As a farmer does not invest in all three capital goods every year, a large number of observations are clustered at zero. Because of this, the commonly used estimation methods are unsatisfactory. In this study an adjusted estimation method is developed, known as an "infrequency purchase model." Application of this statistical model offers the opportunity to build an investment model which is based on the neoclassical production theory, but also contains some elements of the financial theory of investment. Copyright 1993 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2010. "The impact of interfirm relationships on investment: Evidence from the Polish dairy sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 121-129, April.
- Weiss, Christoph R., 2001. "On flexibility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 347-356, November.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2009. "Facing decoupling: use of payments and investment reaction to decoupling in the EU," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51724, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Weiss, Christoph R., 1999. "Flexibility In Agriculture," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21502, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Benjamin, Catherine & Phimister, Euan, 2001. "Imperfection du marché du capital et investissement des exploitations agricoles," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 77(3), pages 357-383, septembre.
- Oskam, Arie J. & Goncharova, Natalia V. & Verstegen, Jos A.A.M., 2009. "The decision to invest and the investment level: An application to Dutch glasshouse horticulture firms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51574, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Gorton, Matthew & White, John & Urutyan, Vardan E. & Sardaryan, Gagik, 2012. "The Role Of Agribusiness In Stimulating On-Farm Investments Â€“ Case-Study Of The Armenian Dairy Sector," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 6.
- Aramyan, Lusine H. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. & Verstegen, Jos A.A.M., 2005. "Investments in Energy-Saving Systems in Dutch Horticultural Farms," 15th Congress, Campinas SP, Brazil, August 14-19, 2005 24285, International Farm Management Association.
- Conor M. O'Toole & Carol Newman & Thia Hennessy, 2011. "The role of investment, fundamental Q and financing frictions in agricultural investment decisions: an analysis pre and post financial crisis," Working Papers 1101, Rural Economy and Development Programme,Teagasc.
- Gallerani, Vittorio & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2008. "Understanding The Determinants Of Investment Reactions To Decoupling," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44841, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Goncharova, Natalia V. & Oskam, Arie J., 2006. "Investment Spikes in Dutch Horticulture: An Analysis at Firm and Aggregate Firm Level Over the Period 1975-1999," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25621, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Petrick, Martin, 2004. "Farm investment, credit rationing, and governmentally promoted credit access in Poland: a cross-sectional analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 275-294, June.
- Aramyan, Lusine H. & Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. Oude & Verstegen, Jos A.A.M., 2007. "Factors underlying the investment decision in energy-saving systems in Dutch horticulture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 520-527, May.
- Marcus Böhme, 2013. "Does Migration Raise Agricultural Investment? An Empirical Analysis for Rural Mexico," Kiel Working Papers 1840, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.