The impact of interfirm relationships on investment: Evidence from the Polish dairy sector
AbstractFinancial constraints and credit market imperfections are a major constraint on investment, growth and poverty reduction in transition and developing countries. This paper analyses the impact on investments of financial assistance programs as part of interfirm relationships. Our empirical evidence is based on a two-stage survey methodology. Qualitative evidence on dairy companies' assistance programs was gathered in the first stage through in-depth interviews at the level of the dairy companies. Quantitative data on 290 milk producing rural households in Poland was collected through a random survey in the second stage. The empirical analysis shows that dairy companies have played an important role in financial assistance, in particular for dairy-specific investments. In addition, they had an important indirect impact on farm activities and investments through feed supply and loan guarantee programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Central Eastern Europe Poland Dairy sector Vertical coordination Investment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007.
"Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal,"
106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France
7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," LICOS Discussion Papers 17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Danilowska, Alina, 2008. "Macroeconomic determinants of agricultural preferential investment credit in Poland," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44046, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1997.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 661-91.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996. "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, . "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," CRSP working papers 322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Petrick, Martin, 2004. "Farm investment, credit rationing, and governmentally promoted credit access in Poland: a cross-sectional analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 275-294, June.
- Martin Petrick & Laure Latruffe, 2006. "Contractual Relations in Agricultural Credit Markets: A Hedonic Pricing Approach with Application to Poland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 49-63, 03.
- Martin Petrick, 2004. "A microeconometric analysis of credit rationing in the Polish farm sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 77-101, March.
- Bart Minten & Lalaina Randrianarison & Johan Swinnen, 2007. "Spillovers from high-value agriculture for exports on land use in developing countries: evidence from Madagascar," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 265-275, 09.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999.
"Interfirm Relationships And Informal Credit In Vietnam,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1285-1320, November.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Inter-Firm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," CEPR Discussion Papers 2036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1998. "Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 132, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Swinnen, Johan F. M. & Gow, Hamish R., 1999. "Agricultural credit problems and policies during the transition to a market economy in Central and Eastern Europe," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 21-47, February.
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2001.
"Courts and Relational Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
8572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1997. "Trade credit in Zimbabwean manufacturing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 795-815, May.
- Hannah Chaplin & Matthew Gorton & Sophia Davidova, 2007. "Impediments to the Diversification of Rural Economies in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence from Small-scale Farms in Poland," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(3), pages 361-376.
- Aramyan, Lusine H. & Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. Oude & Verstegen, Jos A.A.M., 2007. "Factors underlying the investment decision in energy-saving systems in Dutch horticulture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 520-527, May.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Laure Latruffe, 2005. "The Impact of Credit Market Imperfections on Farm Investment in Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 349-362.
- Key, Nigel & Runsten, David, 1999. "Contract Farming, Smallholders, and Rural Development in Latin America: The Organization of Agroprocessing Firms and the Scale of Outgrower Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 381-401, February.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Germenji, Etleva & Noev, Nivelin & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Farmers, Vertical Coordination, and the Restructuring of Dairy Supply Chains in Central and Eastern Europe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1742-1758, November.
- Elhorst, J Paul, 1993. "The Estimation of Investment Equations at the Farm Level," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(2), pages 167-82.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Vertical Integration, and Local Suppliers: Evidence from the Polish Dairy Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1525-1544, September.
- Barry, Peter J. & Robison, Lindon J., 2001. "Agricultural finance: Credit, credit constraints, and consequences," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 513-571 Elsevier.
- Hamish R. Gow & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Private Enforcement Capital and Contract Enforcement in Transition Economies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 686-690.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, 05.
- Shanoyan, Aleksan & Brent Ross, R. & Gow, Hamish R. & Christopher Peterson, H., 2014. "Long-term sustainability of third-party facilitated market linkages: Evidence from the USDA marketing assistance program in the Armenian dairy industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 157-164.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.