Multinational experience and the creation of linkages with local firms: evidence from the electronics industry
AbstractThis paper focuses on multinational companies' creation of linkages with local firms in the electronics industry. Evidence is drawn from a novel data-set, covering international operations of the top European and US electronics companies, over the period 1984--95. Econometric tests are provided to highlight how firms' multinational experience, measured by the extent of their presence in foreign countries, affects cooperative agreements, as opposed to licensing and foreign direct investments. It is highlighted that multinationals' subsidiary accumulation has a positive and significant impact on collaborative linkages with local firms. This contrasts with the transaction cost view underlying most market-entry literature, but is consistent with a dynamic efficiency perspective which emphasises the role of linkages in learning and knowledge accumulation and exploitation. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Davide CASTELLANI & Antonello ZANFEI, 1998. "Multinational experience and the creation of linkages with local firms. Evidence from the electronics industry," Working Papers 111, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zejan, Mario C, 1990. "New Ventures of Acquisitions. The Choice of Swedish Multinational Enterprises," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 349-55, March.
- Jean-Fran�ois Hennart & Jorma Larimo, 1998. "The Impact of Culture on the Strategy of Multinational Enterprises: Does National Origin Affect Ownership Decisions?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 515-538, September.
- Lim, Linda Y. C. & Fong, Pang Eng, 1982. "Vertical linkages and multinational enterprises in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(7), pages 585-595, July.
- Mutinelli, Marco & Piscitello, Lucia, 1998. "The entry mode choice of MNEs: an evolutionary approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 491-506, September.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Davidson, W H & McFetridge, Donald G, 1984. "International Technology Transactions and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 253-64, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1978. "Transnationals, Domestic Enterprises, and Industrial Structure in Host LDCs: A Survey," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 217-48, July.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1990. "Complementarity and External Linkages: The Strategies of the Large Firms in Biotechnology," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 361-79, June.
- Bureth, Antoine & Wolff, Sandrine & Zanfei, Antonello, 1997. "The two faces of learning by cooperating: The evolution and stability of inter-firm agreements in the European electronics industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 519-537, April.
- Rosenberg, Nathan, 1990. "Why do firms do basic research (with their own money)?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 165-174, April.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Castellani, Davide & Pieri, Fabio, 2013.
"R&D offshoring and the productivity growth of European regions,"
CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers
2013/20, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Castellani, Davide & Pieri, Fabio, 2013. "R&D offshoring and the productivity growth of European regions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 1581-1594.
- Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2012. "R&D Offshoring and the Productivity Growth of European Regions," Development Working Papers 345, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Davide Castellani & Fabio Pieri, 2011. "R&D Offshoring and the Productivity Growth of European Regions," Working Papers 1120, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Chen, Tain-Jy, 2006. "Liability of foreignness and entry mode choice: Taiwanese firms in Europe," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 288-294, February.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Federica Saliola, 2007. "Power Relationships along the Value Chain: Multinational Firms, Global Buyers, and Local Suppliers' Performance," Working Papers 0702, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised Jan 2007.
- Erol Taymaz & Aykut Lenger, 2004. "Multinational Corporations as a Vehicle for Productivity Spillovers in Turkey," DRUID Working Papers 04-09, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Castellani, Davide & Zanfei, Antonello, 2004. "Choosing international linkage strategies in the electronics industry: the role of multinational experience," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 447-475, April.
- Hansen, Michael W. & Pedersen, Torben & Petersen, Bent, 2009. "MNC strategies and linkage effects in developing countries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 121-130, April.
- Anna Giunta, 2002. "Large Firms and Southern Italy: The Relevance of Salvatore Cafiero’s Position," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 2, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.