Large Firms and Southern Italy: The Relevance of Salvatore Cafiero’s Position
AbstractIn this paper we argue that large firms can still play a significant role in the development of Southern Italy. It is an argument that had already been advanced by the Neo-Meridionalistiin the ’50s and ’60s and that was also upheld by Salvatore Cafiero, even in the new background of ideas and policies. In support of this stance, two aspects are discussed in the paper: the production of supply externalities in areas dominated by the large firms and the presence of economies of scale in the international projection of firms. We then go on to consider the efficiency of Planning Agreements. Designed to foster the localization of large firms in Southern Italy, this policy measure is unfortunately found to have somewhat departed from the original principles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Associazione Rossi Doria in its journal QA.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
Regional Development Policy; Industrialization; Firm Organization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Giunta, 2004. "Large Firms and Subcontracting Relations in Commercial Aircraft," Industrial Organization 0403008, EconWPA.
- Massimo Florio & Anna Giunta, 2001.
"L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso,"
Departmental Working Papers
2001-12, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Giunta Anna & Florio Massimo, 2002. "L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 359-396.
- Onida Fabrizio, 1998. "L'industria italiana in un contesto aperto," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 279-286.
- Davide CASTELLANI & Antonello ZANFEI, 1998.
"Multinational experience and the creation of linkages with local firms. Evidence from the electronics industry,"
111, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Davide Castellani, 2002. "Multinational experience and the creation of linkages with local firms: evidence from the electronics industry," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Florio Massimo & Lucchetti Riccardo & Quaglia Floriana, 1999. "Crescita endogena e investimenti esterni: un modello dell'impatto occupazionale di lungo periodo della grande impresa nel Mezzogiorno," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 591-612.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.