The Economics of Hybrid Organizations
AbstractThis paper analyzes the recent progress in the understanding of a class of organizations known as hybrid forms. The growing literature on these forms, standing between markets and hierarchies, raises important questions about their nature and role in a market economy. Adopting a transaction-cost perspective, the paper first confronts the conceptual problem posed by this apparently heterogeneous set of arrangements. It then proceeds to explore the attributes characterizing their mode of coordination. The last section examines the complex forms of "government" adopted by these arrangements and proposes a model for encapsulating these properties. The conclusion emphasizes several remaining issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 160 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lieske van der Torre & Menno Fenger & Mark van Twist & Daphne Bressers, 2014. "Dilemmas and Challenges in the Marketing of Hybrid Organizations: A Theoretical Exploration of Dutch Sheltered Work Companies," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 1-14, February.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00643792 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ruys, P.H.M., 2005.
"The Governance of Services,"
2005-102, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Valentinov, Vladislav & Fritzsch, Jana, 2007. "Are Cooperatives Hybrid Organizations? An Alternative Viewpoint," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 35(2).
- Furtan, William Hartley & Karantininis, Kostas & Lund, Mogens, 2007. "Reversing the road to super farms," 102nd Seminar, May 17-18, 2007, Moscow, Russia 10025, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lise Arena & Eamonn Molloy, 2010. "The Governance Paradox in Megaprojects," Post-Print halshs-00721622, HAL.
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00643792 is not listed on IDEAS
- Monteiro, Guilherme Fowler A. & Saes, Maria Sylvia Macchione & Caleman, Silvia Morales de Queiroz & Zylbersztajn, DÃ©cio, 2012. "The Role of Empirical Research in the Study of Complex Forms of Governance in Agroindustrial Systems," Brazilian Journal of Rural Economy and Sociology (RESR), Sociedade Brasileira de Economia e Sociologia Rural, vol. 50(4), December.
- Rosa, Franco, 2012. "Planning the Sustainable Agro-fuel Supply Chain," Congress Papers 124130, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Antonio Nicita & Simone Sepe, 2012. "The Hold-up Problem Under Common Agency," Department of Economics University of Siena 636, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Sam Garrett-Jones & Tim Turpin & Kieren Diment, 2010. "Managing competition between individual and organizational goals in cross-sector research and development centres," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 527-546, October.
- Lo Nigro, Giovanna & Abbate, Lorenzo, 2011. "Risk assessment and profit sharing in business networks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 234-241, May.
- Mondelaers, Koen & Lauwers, Ludwig H. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Food Certification Schemes as Private Institutions of Sustainability," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 121993, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Olivier Sautel, 2007. "L'évolution de la théorie des contrats incomplets face à la dé-intégration verticale," Revue d'économie industrielle, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 5-5.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.