Government versus Opposition: Who Should be Who in the 16th German Bundestag?
AbstractWe model the process of coalition formation in the 16th German Bundestag as a hedonic coalition formation game. In order to induce players' preferences in the game we apply the Shapley value of the simple game describing all winning coalitions in the Bundestag. Using different stability notions for hedonic games we prove that the "most" stable government is formed by the Union Parties together with the Social Democratic Party.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=108909
coalition formation; Shapley value; simple games; winning coalitions; D72; C71;
Other versions of this item:
- Dinko Dimitrov & Claus-Jochen Haake, 2005. "Government versus opposition: Who should be who in the 16th German Bundestag?," Working Papers 375, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tayfun Sönmez & Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi, 2001.
"Core in a simple coalition formation game,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 135-153.
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Jackson, Matthew O., 2002. "The Stability of Hedonic Coalition Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 201-230, February.
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Clemens Puppe, 1997.
"On the Formation of Political Coalitions,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 153(2), pages 293-, June.
- Georg Kirchsteiger & Clemens Puppe, 1997. "On the formation of political coalitions," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/5915, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Georg KIRCHSTEIGER & Clemens PUPPE, 1995. "On the Formation of Political Coalitions," Vienna Economics Papers vie9505, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Shao Chin Sung, 2006.
"A Taxonomy of Myopic Stability Concepts for Hedonic Games,"
2006.10, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Shao Chin Sung & Dinko Dimitrov, 2005. "A taxonomy of myopic stability concepts for hedonic games," Working Papers 373, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Dimitrov, Dinko & Haake, Claus-Jochen, 2008. "Stable governments and the semistrict core," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 460-475, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2006:i:12:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dinko Dimitrov & Claus-Jochen Haake, 2008.
"A note on the paradox of smaller coalitions,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 571-579, May.
- Dominik Karos, 2012. "Coalition Formation in Generalized Apex Games," Working Papers 2012.38, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Claus-Jochen Haake, 2006.
"Coalition Formation in Simple Games: The Semistrict Core,"
2006.72, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Dinko Dimitrov & Claus-Jochen Haake, 2006. "Coalition formation in simple games: The semistrict core," Working Papers 378, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Ciftci, B.B. & Dimitrov, D.A., 2006.
"Stable Coalition Structures in Simple Games with Veto Control,"
2006-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Baris Ciftci & Dinko Dimitrov, 2006. "Stable coalition structures in simple games with veto control," Working Papers 384, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Dinko Dimitrov, 2006. "Top coalitions, common rankings, and semistrict core stability," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(12), pages 1-6.
- Dominik Karos, 2013. "Coalition Formation in General Apex Games," Economics Series Working Papers 680, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dominik Karos, 2013. "Bargaining and Power," Working Papers 2013.63, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.