Why People Donâ€™t Take their Concerns about Fair Trade to the Supermarket: The Role of Neutralisation
AbstractThis article explores how neutralisation can explain peopleâ€™s lack of commitment to buying Fair Trade (FT) products, even when they identify FT as an ethical concern. It examines the theoretical tenets of neutralisation theory and critically assesses its applicability to the purchase of FT products. Exploratory research provides illustrative examples of neutralisation techniques being used in the FT consumer context. A conceptual framework and research propositions delineate the role of neutralisation in explaining the attitude-behaviour discrepancies evident in relation to consumersâ€™ FT purchase behaviour, providing direction for further research that will generate new knowledge of consumersâ€™ FT purchase behaviour and other aspects of ethical consumer behaviour. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Business Ethics.
Volume (Year): 74 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100281
attitude-behaviour gap; ethical consumerism; ethical decision-making; fair trade purchase; neutralisation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, James A., 1996. "Will the real socially responsible consumer please step forward?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 79-83.
- Fisher, Robert J, 1993. " Social Desirability Bias and the Validity of Indirect Questioning," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 303-15, September.
- Carrington, Michal J. & Neville, Benjamin A. & Whitwell, Gregory J., 2014. "Lost in translation: Exploring the ethical consumer intention–behavior gap," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2759-2767.
- Eleni Papaoikonomou & Gerard Ryan & Matias Ginieis, 2011. "Towards a Holistic Approach of the Attitude Behaviour Gap in Ethical Consumer Behaviours: Empirical Evidence from Spain," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 77-88, February.
- Dilek PENPECE, 2014. "Demografik Deðiþkenler ve Dizi Türünün Dizi Tanýtým Mecralarýna Etkisi Üzerine Bir Araþtýrma," Isletme ve Iktisat Calismalari Dergisi, Econjournals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-10.
- Michal Carrington & Benjamin Neville & Gregory Whitwell, 2010. "Why Ethical Consumers Don’t Walk Their Talk: Towards a Framework for Understanding the Gap Between the Ethical Purchase Intentions and Actual Buying Behaviour of Ethically Minded Consumers," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 97(1), pages 139-158, November.
- Carsten Gandenberger & Heiko Garrelts & Diana Wehlau, 2011. "Assessing the Effects of Certification Networks on Sustainable Production and Consumption: The Cases of FLO and FSC," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 107-126, March.
- Etilé, Fabrice & Teyssier, Sabrina, 2013.
"Corporate social responsibility and the economics of consumer social responsibility,"
Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement,
Editions NecPlus, vol. 2013(02), pages 221-259, June.
- Etilé, Fabrice & Teyssier, Sabrina, 2013. "Corporate social responsibility and the economics of consumer social responsibility," Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, Editions NecPlus, vol. 94(02), pages 221-259, June.
- Fabrice Etilé & Sabrina Teyssier, 2013. "Corporate social responsibility and the economics of consumer social responsibility," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 94(2), pages 221-259.
- Fabrice Etilé & Sabrina Teyssier, 2012. "Corporate Social Responsibility and the Economics of Consumer Social Responsibility," Working Papers hal-00749355, HAL.
- Grunert, Klaus G. & Hieke, Sophie & Wills, Josephine, 2014. "Sustainability labels on food products: Consumer motivation, understanding and use," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 177-189.
- Langena, Nina & Klink, Jeanette & Hartmann, Monika, 2013. "Individualized or non-individualized IDM: What elicits consumer preferences best?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150637, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gaëlle Balineau & Ivan Dufeu, 2010. "Are Fair Trade Goods Credence Goods? A New Proposal, with French Illustrations," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(2), pages 331-345, April.
- Veronika Andorfer & Ulf Liebe, 2012. "Research on Fair Trade Consumption—A Review," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 106(4), pages 415-435, April.
- Marylyn Carrigan & Caroline Moraes & Sheena Leek, 2011. "Fostering Responsible Communities: A Community Social Marketing Approach to Sustainable Living," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 100(3), pages 515-534, May.
- Fred A. Yamoah, 2014. "An Exploratory Study of Marketing Factors Influencing Fairtrade Food Buying Behaviour in the UK," International Review of Management and Marketing, Econjournals, vol. 4(1), pages 13-23.
- Jeffery Bray & Nick Johns & David Kilburn, 2011. "An Exploratory Study into the Factors Impeding Ethical Consumption," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 98(4), pages 597-608, February.
- Eleni Papaoikonomou & Mireia Valverde & Gerard Ryan, 2012. "Articulating the Meanings of Collective Experiences of Ethical Consumption," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 15-32, September.
- William Young & Kumju Hwang & Seonaidh McDonald & Caroline J. Oates, 2010. "Sustainable consumption: green consumer behaviour when purchasing products," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 20-31.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.