Bioeconomic Analysis and Management
AbstractThis article discusses bioeconomic analysis and different management strategies in fisheries. It reviews recent developments, which show the need to expand the analysis to multispecies fisheries and management. Significant gains can be made if the interdependencies between species and/or jointness in inputs for many fisheries are identified. Both common property resource management and individual transferable quotas (ITQs) can be fruitful strategies in different settings. The article suggests that there is scope for the development of a multiple use management approach of marine resources. Besides the aim of an efficient use of fish stocks, equal attention should be given to other values from aquatic ecosystems, like ecological services, biodiversity and recreation possibilities. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
bioeconomics; fisheries management;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parks, Peter J. & Bonifaz, Manuel, 1994. "Nonsustainable Use of Renewable Resources: Mangrove Deforestation and Mariculture in Ecuador," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 9(1).
- Townsend, Ralph E, 1995. "Transferable dynamic stock rights," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 153-158, March.
- Christensen, Steen & Vestergaard, Niels, 1993. "A Bioeconomic Analysis of the Greenland Shrimp Fishery in the Davis Strait," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 8(4).
- Hanna, Susan S., 1997. "The new frontier of American fisheries governance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 221-233, March.
- Campbell, Harry F. & Hand, Anthony J. & Smith, Anthony D.M., 1993. "A Bioeconomic Model for Management of Orange Roughy Stocks," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 8(2).
- Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 1997. "Fishing as a Supergame," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 309-322, March.
- Yamamoto, Tadashi, 1995. "Development of a Community-Based Fishery Management System in Japan," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 10(1).
- Sumaila, U.R., 1997.
"Strategic Dynamic Interaction: The Case of Barents Sea Fisheries,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
172, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Sumaila, Ussif Rashid, 1997. "Strategic Dynamic Interaction: The Case Of Barents Sea Fisheries," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(2).
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Munro, Gordon R. & Scott, Anthony D., 1985. "The economics of fisheries management," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 623-676 Elsevier.
- Christian Azar & Kristian Lindgren & John Holmberg, 1996. "Constant quota versus constant effort harvesting," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(2), pages 193-196, March.
- Conrad, Jon M. & Adu-Asamoah, Richard, 1986. "Single and multispecies systems: The the Eastern Tropical Atlantic," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 50-68, March.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 2000. "Halting Degradation of Natural Resources: Is There a Role for Rural Communities?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290612.
- Sandal, Leif K. & Steinshamn, Stein Ivar, 1997. "Optimal Steady States And The Effects Of Discounting," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(2).
- Townsend, Ralph E., 1986. "A critique of models of the American lobster fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 277-291, September.
- Clarke, Raymond P. & Yoshimoto, Stacey S. & Pooley, Samuel G., 1992. "A Bioeconomic Analysis of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands Lobster Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 7(3).
- Duncan Knowler, 2002. "A Review of Selected Bioeconomic Models with Environmental Influences in Fisheries," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 163-181, May.
- Kataria, Mitesh, 2007. "A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Introducing a Non-native Species: The Case of the Signal Crayfish in Sweden," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(1).
- R.J. Imeson & J.C.J.M. van den Bergh, 2004. "A Bioeconomic Analysis of a Shellfishery: The Effects of Recruitment and Habitat in a Metapopulation Model," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(1), pages 65-86, January.
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano, 2001. "The role of economics in global management of whales: re-forming or re-founding IWC?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 205-221, February.
- Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2004. "A Bio-Economic Model Of Wetland Protection On Private Lands," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20122, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sumaila, Ussif Rashid & Berman, Matthew D., 2006. "Thalassorama - Discounting, Amenity Values, and Marine Ecosystem Restoration," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 21(2).
- Rüdiger Pethig, 1999. "On the Future of Environmental Economics," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 77-99, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.