A Stochastic Frontier Analysis of Output Level and Growth in Poland and Western Economies
AbstractThis paper uses Bayesian stochastic frontier methods to measure the productivity gap between Poland and Western countries that existed before the beginning of the main Polish economic reform. Using data for 20 Western economies, Poland and Yugoslavia (1980-90) we estimate a translog stochastic frontier and make inference about individual efficiencies. Following the methodology proposed in our earlier work, we also decompose output growth into technical, efficiency and input changes and examine patterns of growth in the period under consideration. Copyright 2000 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economics of Planning.
Volume (Year): 33 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113294
Other versions of this item:
- Osiewalski, J. & Koop, G. & Steel, M.F.J., 1997. "A Stochastic Frontier Analysis of Output Level and Growth in Poland and Western Economies," Discussion Paper 1997-85, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- KOOP, Gary & STEEL, Mark F. & OSIEWALSKI, Jacek, 1994. "Posterior Analysis of Stochastic Frontier Models using Gibbs Sampling," CORE Discussion Papers 1994061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997.
"Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 77-105.
- KOOP , Gary & OSIEWALSKI , Jacek & STEEL , Mark, 1995. "Bayesian Efficiency Analysis through Individual Effects : Hospital Cost Frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers 1995036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M. F. J., . "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1245, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1999. " The Components of Output Growth: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(4), pages 455-87, November.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2000.
"Uncovering financial markets' beliefs about inflation targets,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 483-512.
- Ruge-Murcia, F.J., 1998. "Uncovering Financial Markets Beliefs About Inflation Targets," Cahiers de recherche 9803, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 1998. "Uncovering Financial Markets Beliefs About Inflation Targets," Cahiers de recherche 9803, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2010.
"Public and Private Inputs in Aggregate Production and Growth: A Cross-country Efficiency Approach,"
2010/09, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2010. "Public and private inputs in aggregate production and growth: a cross-country efficiency approach," Working Paper Series 1154, European Central Bank.
- Andrew Tiffin, 2006. "Ukraine: The Cost of Weak Institutions," IMF Working Papers 06/167, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Fioramanti, 2009. "Estimation and Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth in the EU Manufacturing Sector: a Stochastic Frontier Approach," ISAE Working Papers 114, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Laurent Weill, 2008. "On the inefficiency of European socialist economies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 79-89, April.
- Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2006. "Inference in dynamic stochastic frontier models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 669-676.
- Jaume Puig, 2000. "Technical inefficiency and public capital in US States: A stochastic frontier approach," Economics Working Papers 451, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ertugrul Deliktaþ, 2008. "The Comparison of Technical Efficiency and Productivity Growth in Transition Countries and the Soviet Union Countries," Papers of the Annual IUE-SUNY Cortland Conference in Economics, in: Proceedings of the Conference on Emerging Economic Issues in a Globalizing World, pages 91-107 Izmir University of Economics.
- Mastromarco, Camilla & Ghosh, Sucharita, 2009. "Foreign Capital, Human Capital, and Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 489-502, February.
- Malinka Koparanova, 2007. "Structural Changes in the Manufacturing Industry of Transition Economies," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 3-42.
- Kamil Makieła, 2009. "Economic Growth Decomposition. An Empirical Analysis Using Bayesian Frontier Approach," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 1(4), pages 333-369, December.
- Astrid Cullmann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2007. "From Transition to Competition: Dynamic Efficiency Analysis of Polish Electricity Distribution Companies," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 716, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.