Estimation of Technical Inefficiencies with Heterogeneous Technologies
AbstractThis paper considers the measurement of firm's specific (in)efficiency while allows for the possible heterogeneous technologies adopted by different firms. A flexible stochastic frontier model with random coefficients is proposed to distinguish technical inefficiency from technological differences across firms. Posterior inference of the model is made possible via the simulation-based approach, namely, Markov chain Monte Carlo method. The model is applied to a real data set which has also been considered in Christensen and Greene (1976), Greene (1990), Tsionas (2002), among others. Empirical results show that the regression coefficients can vary across firms, indicating the adoption of heterogeneous technologies by different firms. More importantly, we find that, without considering this possible heterogeneity, the inefficiency of firms can be over-estimated. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 21 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
stochastic frontier; random-coefficient; Gibbs sampler; Metropolis–Hastings;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Drine, Imed & Bou Abid, Anis, 2010.
"Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labor market: Evidence from Tunisia,"
21994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abid, Anis Bou & Drine, Imed, 2011. "Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labour market: Evidence from Tunisia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1131-1139, May.
- Anis Bou Abid & Imed Drine, 2010. "Efficiency Frontier and Matching Process on the Labour Market: Evidence from Tunisia," Working Paper Series wp2010-123, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Morrison Paul, Catherine J. & Sauer, Johannes, 2010. "Technologies And Localized Technical Change," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93963, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Yan, Jia & Sun, Xinyu & Liu, John J., 2009. "Assessing container operator efficiency with heterogeneous and time-varying production frontiers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 172-185, January.
- Hailu, Getu & Goddard, Ellen W. & Jeffrey, Scott R., 2005. "Measuring Efficiency in Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Co-operatives with Heterogeneous Technologies in Canada," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19507, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jim Griffin & Mark Steel, 2007.
"Bayesian stochastic frontier analysis using WinBUGS,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 163-176, June.
- Jim Griffin & Mark Steel, 2005. "Bayesian Stochastic Frontier Analysis Using WinBUGS," Econometrics 0509004, EconWPA.
- Philippe K. Widmer & Peter Zweifel & Mehdi Farsi, 2011.
"Accounting for heterogeneity in the measurement of hospital performance,"
ECON - Working Papers
052, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Philippe K Widmer & Peter Zweifel & Mehdi Farsi, 2010. "Accounting For Heterogeneity In The Measurement of Hospital Performance," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 10-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Lambarraa, Fatima, 2012. "The Spanish Horticulture Sector: A dynamic efficiency analysis of Outdoor and Greenhouse farms," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126797, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Anup Kumar Bhandari & Pradip Maiti, 2007. "Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing Firms: Textile Industry as a Case Study," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 6(1), pages 71-88, April.
- Lambarraa, Fatima & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009. "The analysis of irreversibility, uncertainty and dynamic technical inefficiency on the investment decision in Spanish olive sector," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51397, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lambarraa, Fatima, 2011. "Dynamic Efficiency Analysis of Spanish Outdoor and Greenhouse Horticulture Sector," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114408, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.