Identifying Risk-Adjusted Indifference Rents for Alternative Operating Leases
AbstractFor some time real estate operating leases have been available to lessees and lessors which have alternative schemes for allocating the purchasing power risk embedded in the rent and operating expense streams. This paper presents a market-oriented model that will allow lessees and/or lessors to efficiently evaluate and compare alternative leases. Using the model it is possible to identify a set of risk-adjusted rents for alternative leases between which the evaluator is indifferent. Knowledge of this set of indifference rents places the model user in a superior position during the lease negotiation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 4 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Charles R & Schwert, G William, 1977. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Predictors of Inflation: On Testing the Hypothesis That the Real Rate of Interest is Constant," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 478-86, June.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G & Long, Michael S & McConnell, John J, 1976. "Asset Leasing in Competitive Capital Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 787-98, June.
- Schall, Lawrence D, 1974. "The Lease-or-Buy and Asset Acquisition Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1203-14, September.
- Darby, Michael R, 1975. "The Financial and Tax Effects of Monetary Policy on Interest Rates," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(2), pages 266-76, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1975. "Short-Term Interest Rates as Predictors of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 269-82, June.
- Myers, Stewart C & Dill, David A & Bautista, Alberto J, 1976. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 799-819, June.
- Garbade, Kenneth & Wachtel, Paul, 1978. "Time variation in the relationship between inflation and interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 755-765, November.
- Linda L. Johnson & Terry Keasler & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "An Industry Profile of Corporate Real Estate," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 445-474.
- Gerald Buetow, Jr. & Joseph Albert, 1998. "The Pricing of Embedded Options in Real Estate Lease Contracts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 15(3), pages 253-266.
- Chris Manning & Stephen E. Roulac, 2001. "Lessons from the Past and Future Directions for Corporate Real Estate Research," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 22(1/2), pages 7-58.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.