Corporate Real Estate Management in the Retail Sector: Investigation of Current Strategy and Structure
AbstractRetail organizations are often cited as being at the forefront of corporate real estate management. This research found that the retail sector is characterized by diversity both in terms of the degree to which organizations are vertically integrated and in terms of the range of modes of retailing they engage in. This in turn led to diverse real estate portfolios. However, regardless of this diversity, the over riding strategy was focused on supporting the core activity. This study provides a snapshot of current practice however it also uncovers the need for a greater understanding of the diversity in practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 22 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen E. Roulac, 1994. "Retail Real Estate in the 21st Century: Information Technology + Time Consciousness + Unintelligent Stores = Intelligent Shopping? NOT!," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 125-150.
- Martha A. O’Mara, 1999. "Strategic Drivers of Location Decisions for Information-Age Companies," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 17(3), pages 365-386.
- Hugh O. Nourse & Stephen E. Roulac & Stellan Lundstrom, 1993. "Linking Real Estate Decisions to Corporate Strategy," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(4), pages 475-494.
- John D. Benjamin, 1994. "The Changing Retail Real Estate Marketplace: An Introduction," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(1), pages 1-4.
- Kerry D. Vandell & Charles C. Carter, 1992. "Retail Store Location and Market Analysis: A Review of the Research," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 92-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1969. "Strategy and Structure: Chapters in the History of the American Industrial Enterprise," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530090, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.