Price Discovery in American and British Property Markets
AbstractThis paper examines the securitized (public) and unsecuritized (private) commercial property markets in the United States and the United Kingdom for evidence of price discovery. Appraisal-based returns are corrected for smoothing, without presupposing the true returns to be uncorrelated or unpredictable across time. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and property company returns are corrected for leverage. We find evidence that price discovery occurs in the securitized market structure in both countries, and that this price information does not fully transmit to the unsecuritized markets for a year or more. In Britain, the unsecuritized market appears to be more closely and immediately linked to the securitized market than is the case in the U.S. Copyright American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gunther Maier & Shanaka Herath, 2009. "Real Estate Market Efficiency: A Survey of Literature," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2009_07, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Raimond Maurer & Steffen Sebastian, 2002.
"Inflation Risk Analysis of European Real Estate Securities,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
51, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Raimond Mauer & Steffen P. Sebastian, 2002. "Inflation Risk Analysis of European Real Estate Securities," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(1), pages 47-78.
- Maurer, Raimond & Sebastian, Steffen, 2000. "Inflation Risk Analysis of European Real Estate Securities," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 00-07, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- John Cotter & Simon Stevenson, 2006.
"Multivariate Modeling of Daily REIT Volatility,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 305-325, May.
- Cotter, John & Stevenson, Simon, 2005. "Multivariate Modeling of Daily REIT Volatility," MPRA Paper 3524, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter & Simon Stevenson, 2011. "Multivariate Modeling of Daily REIT Volatility," Papers 1103.5660, arXiv.org.
- John Cotter & Simon Stevenson, 2011. "Multivariate Modelling of Daily REIT Volatility," Working Papers 200517, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Conlin Lizieri & Steven Satchell & Elaine Worzala & Roberto Dacco', 1998. "Real Interest Regimes and Real Estate Performance: A Comparison of UK and US Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 339-356.
- Drouhin, Pierre-Arnaud, 2012. "Caractéristiques statistiques et dynamique de prix des produits dérivés immobiliers," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/10918, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Camilo Serrano & Martin Hoesli, 2012. "Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Securitized Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 319-338, April.
- Kevin Chiang, 2009. "Discovering REIT Price Discovery: A New Data Setting," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 74-91, July.
- David Geltner & David C. Ling, 2006. "Considerations in the Design and Construction of Investment Real Estate Research Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(4), pages 411-444.
- Stephen Lee & Simon Stevenson, 2004. "The Case for REITs in the Mixed-Asset Portfolio in the Short and Long Run," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2004-06, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Peter ENGLUND & Min HWANG & John M. QUIGLEY, 2000.
"Hedging Housing Risk,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp26, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Englund, Peter & Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2002. "Hedging Housing Risk," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt06t5d6v0, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Englund, Peter & Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2001. "Hedging Housing Risk," SIFR Research Report Series 2, Institute for Financial Research.
- Gerlach, Richard & Wilson, Patrick & Zurbruegg, Ralf, 2006. "Structural breaks and diversification: The impact of the 1997 Asian financial crisis on the integration of Asia-Pacific real estate markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 974-991, October.
- Raimond Maurer & Steffen Sebastian & Thomas G. Stephan, 2002. "Immobilienindizes im Portfolio-Management," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 52, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Jian Zhou & Zhixin Kang, 2011. "A Comparison of Alternative Forecast Models of REIT Volatility," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 275-294, April.
- Daniel, Kent & Hirshleifer, David & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2002. "Investor psychology in capital markets: evidence and policy implications," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 139-209, January.
- S. Price & Dean Gatzlaff & C. Sirmans, 2012. "Information Uncertainty and the Post-Earnings-Announcement Drift Anomaly: Insights from REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 250-274, January.
- Abdullah Yavas & Yildiray Yildirim, 2011. "Price Discovery in Real Estate Markets: A Dynamic Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Chris Brooks & Sotiris Tsolacos, 2001. "International Evidence of the Predictability of Prices of Securititised Real Estate Assets: Econometric Models versus Neural Networks," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-08, Henley Business School, Reading University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.