Strategic Drivers of Location Decisions for Information-Age Companies
AbstractThe location decision-making process of forty companies with high quality "information-age" jobs is examined. A typology of location decisions is presented based on the magnitude of the relocation and the impact on the workforce. The strategic business drivers of the location decisions are identified and examined. Overall, economic development incentives are less important than the "ease of living" and labor market support found in the community. High quality infrastructure is critical. Future trends and their implications for corporate real estate strategy and economic development priorities are suggested.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kasim L. Alli & Gabriel G. Ramirez & Kenneth Yung, 1991. "Corporate Headquarters Relocation: Evidence from the Capital Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 583-600.
- Chan, Su Han & Gau, George W. & Wang, Ko, 1995. "Stock Market Reaction to Capital Investment Decisions: Evidence from Business Relocations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 81-100, March.
- Ghosh Chinmoy & Rodriguez Mauricio & Sirmans C. F., 1995. "Gains from Corporate Headquarters Relocations: Evidence from the Stock Market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 291-311, November.
- Virginia A Gibson & Richard Barkham, 2001. "Corporate Real Estate Management in the Retail Sector: Investigation of Current Strategy and Structure," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, American Real Estate Society, vol. 22(1/2), pages 107-128.
- Deschryvere, Matthias, 2009. "Mobility of Corporate Headquarter Functions: A Literature Review," Discussion Papers, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy 1203, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.