A dynamic programming approach to model the retirement behaviour of blue-collar workers in Sweden
AbstractThis paper presents an empirical analysis of how Sweden's public old age pension system affects the retirement decision. We focus on male blue-collar workers whose dominant income source as retired comes from the public old age pension system. We develop a dynamic programming model using the rules for the public pension system. In addition to the effects of economic incentives through the pension systems the DP model also measures the effect of the mandatory retirement age of 65-which applies to most parts of Sweden's labour market-on retirement behaviour. The estimated model fits within-sample retirement patterns remarkably well. A simulation of a hypothetical reform, where all retirement incentives in the pension schemes are delayed by three years, shows that economic incentives affect retirement behaviour. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:att:wimass:9430 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1994.
"How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets,"
9406005, EconWPA, revised 06 Jul 1994.
- John Rust & Christopher Phelan, 1997. "How Social Security and Medicare Affect Retirement Behavior in a World of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 781-832, July.
- Mårten Palme & Ingemar Svensson, 2004.
"Income Security Programs and Retirement in Sweden,"
in: Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Micro-Estimation, pages 579-642
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric French, 2004.
"The Effects of Health, Wealth and Wages on Labor Supply and Retirement Behavior,"
2004 Meeting Papers
96, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eric French, 2005. "The Effects of Health, Wealth, and Wages on Labour Supply and Retirement Behaviour," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 395-427.
- Eric French, 2000. "The effects of health, wealth, and wages on labor supply and retirement behavior," Working Paper Series WP-00-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Karlström, Anders & Palme, Mårten & Svensson, Ingemar, 2002. "The Timing of Retirement and Social Security Reforms: Measuring Individual Welfare Changes," Arbetsrapport 2002:8, Institute for Futures Studies.
- Iskhakov, Fedor, 2008. "Dynamic Programming Model of Health and Retirement," Memorandum 03/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Haan & Victoria Prowse, 2009.
"A Structural Approach to Estimating the Effect of Taxation on the Labor Market Dynamics of Older Workers,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
877, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Peter Haan & Victoria Prowse, 2010. "A structural approach to estimating the effect of taxation on the labour market dynamics of older workers," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(3), pages S99-S125, October.
- Haan, Peter & Prowse, Victoria L., 2009. "A Structural Approach to Estimating the Effect of Taxation on the Labor Market Dynamics of Older Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 4102, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter Haan & Victoria Prowse, 2009. "A Structural Approach to Estimating the Effect of Taxation on the Labor Market Dynamics of Older Workers," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 185, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Pedro mira, 2007.
"Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey,"
tecipa-297, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Mira, Pedro, 2010. "Dynamic discrete choice structural models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 38-67, May.
- Pedro Mira & Victor Aguirregabiria, 2007. "Dynamic Discrete Choice Structural Models: A Survey," Working Papers wp2007_0711, CEMFI.
- Noelia BERNAL & Frederic VERMEULEN, 2013.
"The impact of an increase in the legal retirement age on the effective retirement age,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces13.03, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Bernal, Noelia & Vermeulen, Frederic, 2013. "The impact of an increase in the legal retirement age on the effective retirement age," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/391176, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Victor Aguirregabiria, 2006.
"Another Look at the Identification of Dynamic Discrete Decision Processes: With an Application to Retirement Behavior,"
2006 Meeting Papers
169, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Victor Aguirregabiria, 2007. "Another Look at the Identification of Dynamic Discrete Decision Processes: With an Application to Retirement Behavior," Working Papers tecipa-282, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Anders Stenberg & Xavier Luna & Olle Westerlund, 2012.
"Can adult education delay retirement from the labour market?,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 677-696, January.
- de Luna, Xavier & Stenberg, Anders & Westerlund, Olle, 2008. "Can Adult Education Delay Retirement from the Labour Market?," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 756, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- de Luna, Xavier & Stenberg, Anders & Westerlund, Olle, 2008. "Can Adult Education Delay Retirement from the Labour Market?," Working Paper Series 6/2008, Swedish Institute for Social Research.
- de Luna, Xavier & Stenberg, Anders & Westerlund, Olle, 2010. "Can adult education delay retirement from the labour market?," Working Paper Series 2010:2, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586748 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tibor Hanappi, 2012. "Retirement Behaviour in Austria: Incentive Effects on Old-Age Labor Supply," NRN working papers 2012-13, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Vare, Minna, 2005. "Timing of the Early Retirement Decisions of Farming Couples," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24412, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zhiyang Jia, 2005. "Retirement Behavior of Working Couples in Norway. A Dynamic Programming Approach," Discussion Papers 405, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.