Conditional Coskewness in Stock and Bond Markets: Time-Series Evidence
AbstractIn the context of a three-moment intertemporal capital asset pricing model specification, we characterize conditional coskewness between stock and bond excess returns using a bivariate regime-switching model. We find that both conditional U.S. stock coskewness (the relation between stock return and bond volatility) and bond coskewness (the relation between bond return and stock volatility) command statistically and economically significant negative ex ante risk premiums. The impacts of stock and bond coskewness on the conditional stock and bond premiums are quite robust to various model specifications and various sample periods, and also hold in another major developed country (the United Kingdom). The findings also carry important implications for portfolio management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 56 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
regime switching; conditional coskewness; intertemporal asset pricing; stock and bond comovements;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi & Paolo Paesani, 2010.
"Quoted Spreads and Trade Imbalance Dynamics in the European Treasury Bond Market,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3281, CESifo Group Munich.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Girardi, Alessandro & Paesani, Paolo, 2012. "Quoted spreads and trade imbalance dynamics in the European Treasury bond market," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 173-182.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Alessandro Girardi & Paolo Paesani, 2010. "Quoted Spreads and Trade Imbalance Dynamics in the European Treasury Bond Market," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1080, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Wang, Jinan & Chen, Langnan, 2012. "Liquidity-adjusted conditional capital asset pricing model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 361-368.
- Chin Man Chui & Jian Yang, 2012. "Extreme Correlation of Stock and Bond Futures Markets: International Evidence," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 565-587, 08.
- Zhou, Yinggang, 2014. "Modeling the joint dynamics of risk-neutral stock index and bond yield volatilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 216-228.
- Jian Yang & Yinggang Zhou & Wai Leung, 2012. "Asymmetric Correlation and Volatility Dynamics among Stock, Bond, and Securitized Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 491-521, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.