The Importance of Organizational Structure for the Adoption of Innovations
AbstractOrganizational structure affects both the overall behavior of firms and the situations of individuals and subunits within firms. The effect of exogenous changes in the environment (market prices, costs, or regulations) on organizations can be partitioned into the immediate direct effect of the change and the full effect after organizational structure has had time to adjust. This paper develops a computational model of the diffusion of a profitable innovation through a firm, and uses numerical simulations to calculate the relative importance of the direct and structural adjustment components of changes in profitability. One finding is that a failure to recognize the importance of organizational structure on the performance of firms will lead to serious bias in estimation of the costs or benefits of a change in external circumstances. The type of network model developed also has implications for the individuals and divisions that make up the firm. We examine some of the structural characteristics of well-adapted organizations, and show that asymmetries and economic inequalities emerge even when the individual agents' personal characteristics are identical.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
organizational theory; innovation; inequality; structural change; algorithmic computation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muûls & Ulrich J. Wagner & Laure B. de Preux, 2010.
"Anatomy of a Paradox: Management Practices, Organisational Structure and Energy Efficiency,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1039, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Martin, Ralf & Muûls, Mirabelle & de Preux, Laure B. & Wagner, Ulrich J., 2012. "Anatomy of a paradox: Management practices, organizational structure and energy efficiency," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 208-223.
- Myong-Hun Chang & Joseph E Harrington Jr, 2004.
"Agent-Based Models of Organizations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
515, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Donna Ramirez Harrington, 2013. "Effectiveness Of State Pollution Prevention Programs And Policies," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(2), pages 255-278, 04.
- Barr, Jason & Saraceno, Francesco, 2002. "A computational theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 345-361, November.
- Madhu Khanna & George Deltas & Donna Harrington, 2009. "Adoption of Pollution Prevention Techniques: The Role of Management Systems and Regulatory Pressures," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(1), pages 85-106, September.
- Masurel, Enno, 2005. "Use of Patent Information : Empirical Evidence from Innovative SMEs," Serie Research Memoranda 0002, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Pismennaya, Anna & Dosorova, Helen & Anfinogentov, Vasiliy, 1999. "Development of Market Relations in Russia: The Impact of the Structure of a Firm," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa216, European Regional Science Association.
- Masurel, E. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Bridging the gap between institutions of higher education and small and medium-size enterprises," Serie Research Memoranda 0037, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.