Penny Stock IPOs
AbstractWe examine underpricing, long-run returns, lockup periods, and gross spreads for penny stock IPOs over the 1990-1998 period. We find that penny stock IPOs have higher initial returns than ordinary IPOs, but significantly worse long-run underperformance. We also find that penny stock IPOs have longer lockup periods and larger gross spreads. To explore the effect of potential market manipulation, we examine IPOs led by a group of underwriters that were the subject of SEC enforcement actions and/or other penalties. Penny stock issues led by these banks are particularly underpriced and underperform ordinary IPOs led by other underwriters.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 35 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2008. "Stock Exchange Markets for New Ventures," CIRANO Working Papers 2008s-12, CIRANO.
- Hoa Nguyen & William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2010.
"Underpricing, Risk Management, Hot Issue and Crowding out Effects: Evidence From the Australian Resources Sector Initial Public Offerings,"
Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(03), pages 333-361.
- Hoa Nguyen & William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2007. "Underpricing, Risk Management, Hot Issue and Crowding out Effects: Evidence from the Australian Resources Sector Initital Public Offerings," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2007_17, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "Investir dans des titres de petite capitalisation : le cas de la Bourse de croissance TSX," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-07, CIRANO.
- Daniel Konku & Vivek Bhargava, 2012. "IPO underpricing and their determinants: penny stocks versus non-penny stocks," Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 69-88.
- Carpentier, Cécile & L'Her, Jean-François & Suret, Jean-Marc, 2010. "Stock exchange markets for new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 403-422, July.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2011. "The survival and success of Canadian penny stock IPOs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 101-121, January.
- Rhee, S. Ghon & Wu, Feng, 2012. "Anything wrong with breaking a buck? An empirical evaluation of NASDAQ's $1 minimum bid price maintenance criterion," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 258-285.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Canadian Public Venture Capital Market," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-08, CIRANO.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Survival and Success of Canadian Penny Stock IPOs," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-28, CIRANO.
- Dimovski, William & Brooks, Robert, 2008. "The underpricing of gold mining initial public offerings," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-16, January.
- James C. Brau & J. Troy Carpenter, 2012. "Efficacy of the 1992 Small Business Incentive Act," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(3), pages 204-217, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.