Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of how the major airports are regulated in Europe. In order to eliminate the potential of airports to exercise market power and protect the public interest, it has become increasingly necessary to set a common regulatory framework. We intend to discuss the need for a single regulator in Europe to monitor or establish the quality of service and the charges practiced by the airports, to ensure cost-relatedness, transparency and non-discrimination. The existing regulatory approaches regarding aeronautical charges and their economic implications are also analyzed. We propose the creation of a European Observatory for this sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Müller, Jürgen & Kamp, Vanessa & Niemeier, Hans-Martin, 2005. "Can we learn from benchmarking studies of airports and where do we want to go from here?," Working Papers 28, Institute of Management Berlin (IMB), Berlin School of Economics and Law.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2006. "A yardstick competition model for Portuguese water and sewerage services regulation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 175-184, September.
- Starkie, David, 2002. "Airport regulation and competition," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 63-72.
- Lu, Ching-Chyuan & Pagliari, Romano I., 2004. "Evaluating the potential impact of alternative airport pricing approaches on social welfare," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Achim Czerny, 2006. "Price-cap Regulation of Airports: Single-till Versus Dual-till," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 85-97, 07.
- Cabral, Luis M B & Riordan, Michael H, 1989. "Incentives for Cost Reduction under Price Cap Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-102, June.
- Forsyth, Peter, 1997. "Price regulation of airports: principles with Australian applications," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 297-309, December.
- Holt, Derek & Horncastle, Alan & Phillips, Jonathan, 2006. "Capital efficiency at airports and related services," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 251-261, December.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Rui Cunha Marques, 2008.
"Performance of European Airports: Regulation, Ownership and Managerial Efficiency,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2008/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Rui Cunha Marques & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2011. "Performance of European airports: regulation, ownership and managerial efficiency," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 29-37.
- Germá Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009. "Factors Explaining Charges in European Airports: Competition, Market Size, Private Ownership and Regulation," Working Papers 2009-31, FEDEA.
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2012. "“Beyond pure public and pure private management models: Mixed firms in the European Airport Industry”," IREA Working Papers 201221, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2012.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2011. "Cost efficiency of African airports using a finite mixture model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 807-813, November.
- Santos, Joana & Simões, Pedro & Costa, Álvaro & Cunha Marques, Rui, 2010. "Efficiency of the Portuguese metros. is it different from other European metros?," MPRA Paper 34904, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2011. "Together or separately? The efficiency and market structure of Portuguese airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 136-139.
- Cruz, Carlos & Marques, Rui, 2010.
"Contribution to the study of PPP arrangements in airport development, management and operation,"
24623, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cruz, Carlos Oliveira & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2011. "Contribution to the study of PPP arrangements in airport development, management and operation," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 392-400, March.
- Santos, Jorge & Furtado, Ana & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2010. "Reform and regulation of the Portuguese rail sector. What has failed?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 94-102, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.