Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of how the major airports are regulated in Europe. In order to eliminate the potential of airports to exercise market power and protect the public interest, it has become increasingly necessary to set a common regulatory framework. We intend to discuss the need for a single regulator in Europe to monitor or establish the quality of service and the charges practiced by the airports, to ensure cost-relatedness, transparency and non-discrimination. The existing regulatory approaches regarding aeronautical charges and their economic implications are also analyzed. We propose the creation of a European Observatory for this sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transport Policy.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stern, Jon & Holder, Stuart, 1999. "Regulatory governance: criteria for assessing the performance of regulatory systems: An application to infrastructure industries in the developing countries of Asia," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 33-50, March.
- Holt, Derek & Horncastle, Alan & Phillips, Jonathan, 2006. "Capital efficiency at airports and related services," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 251-261, December.
- Starkie, David, 2002. "Airport regulation and competition," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 63-72.
- Achim Czerny, 2006. "Price-cap Regulation of Airports: Single-till Versus Dual-till," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 85-97, 07.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Müller, Jürgen & Kamp, Vanessa & Niemeier, Hans-Martin, 2005. "Can we learn from benchmarking studies of airports and where do we want to go from here?," Working Papers 28, Institute of Management Berlin (IMB), Berlin School of Economics and Law.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Cabral, Luis M B & Riordan, Michael H, 1989. "Incentives for Cost Reduction under Price Cap Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-102, June.
- Forsyth, Peter, 1997. "Price regulation of airports: principles with Australian applications," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 297-309, December.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2006. "A yardstick competition model for Portuguese water and sewerage services regulation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 175-184, September.
- Lu, Ching-Chyuan & Pagliari, Romano I., 2004. "Evaluating the potential impact of alternative airport pricing approaches on social welfare," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, January.
- GermÃ¡ Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009. "Factors Explaining Charges in European Airports: Competition, Market Size, Private Ownership and Regulation," Working Papers 2009-31, FEDEA.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp252008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Albalate & GermÃ Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2012. "â€œBeyond pure public and pure private management models: Mixed firms in the European Airport Industryâ€," IREA Working Papers, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics 201221, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2012.
- Santos, Jorge & Furtado, Ana & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2010. "Reform and regulation of the Portuguese rail sector. What has failed?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 94-102, June.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2011. "Together or separately? The efficiency and market structure of Portuguese airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 136-139.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2011. "Cost efficiency of African airports using a finite mixture model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 807-813, November.
- Assaf, A. George & Gillen, David & Barros, Carlos, 2012. "Performance assessment of UK airports: Evidence from a Bayesian dynamic frontier model," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 603-615.
- Santos, Joana & Simões, Pedro & Costa, Álvaro & Cunha Marques, Rui, 2010. "Efficiency of the Portuguese metros. is it different from other European metros?," MPRA Paper 34904, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cruz, Carlos Oliveira & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2011.
"Contribution to the study of PPP arrangements in airport development, management and operation,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 392-400, March.
- Cruz, Carlos & Marques, Rui, 2010. "Contribution to the study of PPP arrangements in airport development, management and operation," MPRA Paper 24623, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.