Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity
AbstractWe use a model of vertical relations between two congestible airports and an airline oligopoly to examine, both analytically and numerically, how deregulation may affect airports prices and capacities. We find that: (i) unregulated profit-maximizing airports would overcharge for the congestion externality and, compared to the first-best, would induce large allocative inefficiencies and dead-weight losses. They would restrict capacity investments but, overall, would induce fewer delays; (ii) Welfare maximization subject to cost recovery performs quite well, achieving congestion levels similar to a private-unregulated airport but without inducing such large traffic contraction; this puts a question mark on the desirability of deregulation of private airports; (iii) Increased cooperation between airlines and airports provides some improvements, but the resulting airport pricing strategy leads to a downstream airline cartel; (iv) When schedule delay costs effects are strong and airline differentiation is weak, it may be optimal to have a single airline dominating the airports, but this happens only when airports' pricing schemes render the number of airlines irrelevant for competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 26 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2005. "Internalization of airport congestion: A network analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 599-614, September.
- Forsyth, Peter, 2003. "Regulation under stress: developments in Australian airport policy," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-35.
- Borenstein, S., 1991.
"The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition,"
389, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-57, November.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Chen, Zhiqi & Ross, Thomas W., 2003. "Cooperating upstream while competing downstream: a theory of input joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 381-397, March.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Airport capacity and congestion when carriers have market power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-247, September.
- Forsyth, Peter, 1997. "Price regulation of airports: principles with Australian applications," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 297-309, December.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1997. "Concession revenue and optimal airport pricing," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 287-296, December.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Van Dender, Kurt, 2008.
"Atomistic congestion tolls at concentrated airports? Seeking a unified view in the internalization debate,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 288-295, September.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Kurt Van Dender, 2007. "Atomistic Congestion Tolls at Concentrated Airports? Seeking a Unified View in the Internalization Debate," CESifo Working Paper Series 2033, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pels, Eric & Verhoef, Erik T., 2004.
"The economics of airport congestion pricing,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 257-277, March.
- Shapiro, Carl & Willig, Robert D, 1990. "On the Antitrust Treatment of Production Joint Ventures," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 113-30, Summer.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2003. "Airport charges and capacity expansion: effects of concessions and privatization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 54-75, January.
- Starkie, David, 2005. "Making airport regulation less imperfect," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-8.
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Swan, William M, 2002. "Airline route developments: a review of history," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 349-353.
- Tiziana D'Alfonso & Alberto Nastasi, 2010. "Vertical Agreements Between Airports And Carriers," DIS Technical Reports 2010-19, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Rui Cunha Marques, 2008.
"Performance of European Airports: Regulation, Ownership and Managerial Efficiency,"
2008/25, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Rui Cunha Marques & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2011. "Performance of European airports: regulation, ownership and managerial efficiency," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 29-37.
- Benoot, Wim & Brueckner, Jan K. & Proost, Stef, 2012.
"Intercontinental airport competition,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/344208, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Basso, Leonardo J. & Zhang, Anming, 2010. "Pricing vs. slot policies when airport profits matter," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 381-391, March.
- Mantin, Benny, 2012. "Airport complementarity: Private vs. government ownership and welfare gravitation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-388.
- Zhang, Anming & Fu, Xiaowen & Yang, Hangjun (Gavin), 2010. "Revenue sharing with multiple airlines and airports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 944-959, September.
- Germá Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009. "Factors Explaining Charges in European Airports: Competition, Market Size, Private Ownership and Regulation," Working Papers 2009-31, FEDEA.
- Socorro, M. Pilar & Betancor, Ofelia, 2011. "Optimality of environmental policies in air transport markets and changes in the schedule delay: A theoretical approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 850-860, November.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.