Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity
AbstractWe use a model of vertical relations between two congestible airports and an airline oligopoly to examine, both analytically and numerically, how deregulation may affect airports prices and capacities. We find that: (i) unregulated profit-maximizing airports would overcharge for the congestion externality and, compared to the first-best, would induce large allocative inefficiencies and dead-weight losses. They would restrict capacity investments but, overall, would induce fewer delays; (ii) Welfare maximization subject to cost recovery performs quite well, achieving congestion levels similar to a private-unregulated airport but without inducing such large traffic contraction; this puts a question mark on the desirability of deregulation of private airports; (iii) Increased cooperation between airlines and airports provides some improvements, but the resulting airport pricing strategy leads to a downstream airline cartel; (iv) When schedule delay costs effects are strong and airline differentiation is weak, it may be optimal to have a single airline dominating the airports, but this happens only when airports' pricing schemes render the number of airlines irrelevant for competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 26 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2005.
"Internalization of airport congestion: A network analysis,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 599-614, September.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Internalization of Airport Congestion: A Network Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 756, CESifo Group Munich.
- Severin Borenstein, 1992.
"The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 45-73, Spring.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Atomistic Congestion Tolls at Concentrated Airports? Seeking a Unified View in the Internalization Debate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2033, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Van Dender, Kurt, 2008. "Atomistic congestion tolls at concentrated airports? Seeking a unified view in the internalization debate," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 288-295, September.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-57, November.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2003. "Airport charges and capacity expansion: effects of concessions and privatization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 54-75, January.
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Eric Pels & Erik Verhoef, 2003.
"The Economics of Airport Congestion Pricing,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-083/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Chen, Zhiqi & Ross, Thomas W., 2003. "Cooperating upstream while competing downstream: a theory of input joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 381-397, March.
- Starkie, David, 2005. "Making airport regulation less imperfect," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 3-8.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1997. "Concession revenue and optimal airport pricing," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 287-296, December.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Airport capacity and congestion when carriers have market power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-247, September.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
- Forsyth, Peter, 2003. "Regulation under stress: developments in Australian airport policy," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 25-35.
- Forsyth, Peter, 1997. "Price regulation of airports: principles with Australian applications," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 297-309, December.
- Shapiro, Carl & Willig, Robert D, 1990. "On the Antitrust Treatment of Production Joint Ventures," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 113-30, Summer.
- Swan, William M, 2002. "Airline route developments: a review of history," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 349-353.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
- Benoot, W. & Brueckner, J.K. & Proost, S., 2013. "Intercontinental-airport regulation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 56-72.
- Basso, Leonardo J. & Zhang, Anming, 2010. "Pricing vs. slot policies when airport profits matter," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 381-391, March.
- Rui Cunha Marques & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2011.
"Performance of European airports: regulation, ownership and managerial efficiency,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 29-37.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Rui Cunha Marques, 2008. "Performance of European Airports: Regulation, Ownership and Managerial Efficiency," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Socorro, M. Pilar & Betancor, Ofelia, 2011. "Optimality of environmental policies in air transport markets and changes in the schedule delay: A theoretical approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 850-860, November.
- Germá Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009. "Factors Explaining Charges in European Airports: Competition, Market Size, Private Ownership and Regulation," Working Papers 2009-31, FEDEA.
- Tiziana D'Alfonso & Alberto Nastasi, 2010. "Vertical Agreements Between Airports And Carriers," DIS Technical Reports 2010-19, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Adler, Nicole & Gellman, Aaron, 2012. "Strategies for managing risk in a changing aviation environment," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 24-35.
- Mantin, Benny, 2012. "Airport complementarity: Private vs. government ownership and welfare gravitation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-388.
- Zhang, Anming & Fu, Xiaowen & Yang, Hangjun (Gavin), 2010. "Revenue sharing with multiple airlines and airports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 944-959, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.