Reforming UK Airport Regulation
AbstractMichael Beesley (1999) was critical of the approach used in the UK to regulate its major airports. In the case of Heathrow, in particular, he argued that price-cap regulation was inappropriate. In this paper David Starkie, after examining some unusual economic characteristics of the airports industry, reaches a similar conclusion. He argues that the linking of complementary demands and location rents at major airports provides an incentive for dominant airports to increase their output beyond the level that one would expect from profit-maximising concerns providing only basic airport services. This incentive, together with recently enhanced competition law in the UK, is argued to make formal price control unnecessary. © The London School of Economics and the University of Bath 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Basso, Leonardo J. & Zhang, Anming, 2010. "Pricing vs. slot policies when airport profits matter," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 381-391, March.
- De Borger, Bruno & Van Dender, Kurt, 2006. "Prices, capacities and service levels in a congestible Bertrand duopoly," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 264-283, September.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2010. "Airport capacity and congestion pricing with both aeronautical and commercial operations," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 404-413, March.
- Germá Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009. "Factors Explaining Charges in European Airports: Competition, Market Size, Private Ownership and Regulation," Working Papers 2009-31, FEDEA.
- Basso, Leonardo J., 2008. "Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Martín, Juan Carlos & Pilar Socorro, M., 2009. "A new era for airport regulators through capacity investments," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 618-625, July.
- McHardy, Jolian & Trotter, Stephen, 2006. "Competition and deregulation: Do air passengers get the benefits?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 74-93, January.
- Malina, Robert & Albers, Sascha & Kroll, Nathalie, 2011.
"Airport incentive programs: A European perspective,"
Working Paper Series
107, University of Cologne, Department of Business Policy and Logistics.
- Robert Malina & Sascha Albers & Nathalie Kroll, 2012. "Airport Incentive Programmes: A European Perspective," Transport Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 435-453, April.
- Button, Kenneth, 2005. "A simple analysis of the rent seeking of airlines, airports and politicians," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 47-56, January.
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
- Zhang, Anming & Fu, Xiaowen & Yang, Hangjun (Gavin), 2010. "Revenue sharing with multiple airlines and airports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 944-959, September.
- Kratzsch, Uwe & Sieg, Gernot, 2012. "No need to regulate airports with predominantly non-aeronautical revenues," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 52, pages 7.
- Marques, Rui Cunha & Brochado, Ana, 2008. "Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 163-172, May.
- Mantin, Benny, 2012. "Airport complementarity: Private vs. government ownership and welfare gravitation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-388.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Joseph Clougherty & Juergen Mueller & Anming Zhang, 2012.
"Regulation, privatization, and airport charges: panel data evidence from European airports,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 73-94, August.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Clougherty, Joseph A. & Mueller, Juergen & Zhang, Anming, 2011. "Regulation, Privatization, and Airport Charges: Panel Data Evidence from European Airports," CEPR Discussion Papers 8618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barros, Carlos P. & Bin Liang, Qi & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2013. "The efficiency of French regional airports: An inverse B-convex analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 668-674.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.