Factors Explaining Charges in European Airports: Competition, Market Size, Private Ownership and Regulation
AbstractThis paper examines factors determining airport charges. Using data for 100 large airports in Europe, we find that they charge higher prices when they move more passengers. Additionally, competition from other transport modes and nearby airports imposes some discipline on the pricing behavior of airports. Low-cost carriers and airlines with a high market share seem to have a stronger countervailing power. We also find that private airports not regulated charge higher prices than public or regulated airports. Finally, the regulation mechanism does not seem to influence substantially the level of airport charges.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2009-31.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaowen Fu & Mark Lijesen & Tae H. Oum, 2006.
"An Analysis of Airport Pricing and Regulation in the Presence of Competition Between Full Service Airlines and Low Cost Carriers,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(3), pages 425-447, September.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Xiaowen Fu & Mark Lijesen, 2005. "An Analysis of Airport Pricing and Regulation in the Presence of Competition Between Full Service Airlines and Low Cost Carriers," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-316, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Inefficiencies and scale economies of European airport operations," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 341-361, September.
- Basso, Leonardo J., 2008. "Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Germa Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009.
"Preventing competition because of 'solidarity': rhetoric and reality of airport investments in Spain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(22), pages 2853-2865.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Preventing competition because of “solidarity”: Rhetoric and reality of airport investments in Spain," Public Economics 0511012, EconWPA.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Bazargan, Massoud & Vasigh, Bijan, 2003. "Size versus efficiency: a case study of US commercial airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 187-193.
- Marques, Rui Cunha & Brochado, Ana, 2008. "Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 163-172, May.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 2007. "How Airline Markets Work...Or Do They? Regulatory Reform in the Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 13452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Joseph Clougherty & Juergen Mueller & Anming Zhang, 2012.
"Regulation, privatization, and airport charges: panel data evidence from European airports,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 73-94, August.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Clougherty, Joseph A. & Mueller, Juergen & Zhang, Anming, 2011. "Regulation, Privatization, and Airport Charges: Panel Data Evidence from European Airports," CEPR Discussion Papers 8618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.