Airport regulation and competition
AbstractIn the airports industry, there is a trade off between imperfect (or monopolistic) competition and economic regulation (with the latter introducing separate economic distortions). The nature of the imperfectly competitive market in the supply of airport services is examined and it is suggested that market power is the consequence of the problems of gaining access to competing sites rather than of natural monopoly. Nevertheless, there are opportunities for substitution between airports (and other modes of transport) depending upon the characteristics of the market and historical and geographical circumstance although substitutability is too narrow a criterion for judging market power because of the transmittal effects of price competition in a spatial market. It is then suggested that some unusual economic characteristics of the industry provide an incentive for airports not to exploit market power and, absent these incentives, the adverse economic costs of exercising market power might be small. The paper concludes by suggesting that ex-post regulation of conduct provided for under normal competition law is probably sufficient to curb monopolistic excesses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Air Transport Management.
Volume (Year): 8 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- KUPFER, Franziska & KESSELS, Roselinde & GOOS, Peter & VAN DE VOORDE, Eddy & VERHETSEL, Ann, 2013. "A discrete choice approach for analysing the airport choice for freighter operations in Europe," Working Papers 2013028, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Barbot, Cristina, 2009. "Airport and airlines competition: Incentives for vertical collusion," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 952-965, December.
- Marco Alderighi & Alessandro Cento & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld, 2004. "The Entry of Low-Cost Airlines: Price Competition in the European Airline Market," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-074/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Friedrich Gröteke & Wolfgang Kerber, 2004. "The Case of Ryanair – EU State Aid Policy on the Wrong Runway," Marburg Working Papers on Economics 200413, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Starkie, David, 2006. "Investment incentives and airport regulation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 262-265, December.
- Haskel, J & Valletti, T & Iozzi, A, 2011.
"Market structure, countervailing power and price discrimination: the case of airports,"
6857, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Iozzi, Alberto & Valletti, Tommaso, 2013. "Market structure, countervailing power and price discrimination: The case of airports," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 12-26.
- Jonathan Haskel & Alberto Iozzi & Tommaso Valletti, 2010. "Market Structure, Countervailing Power and Price Discrimination: The Case of Airports," CEIS Research Paper 177, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 09 Dec 2010.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Iozzi, Alberto & Valletti, Tommaso, 2011. "Market Structure, Countervailing Power and Price Discrimination: The Case of Airports," CEPR Discussion Papers 8280, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christiaan Behrens & Eric Pels, 2009. "Intermodal Competition in The London-Paris Passenger Market: High-Speed Rail and Air Transport," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-051/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tiziana D'Alfonso & Alberto Nastasi, 2010. "Vertical Agreements Between Airports And Carriers," DIS Technical Reports 2010-19, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Alena Novak Sedlackova, 2011. "Impact of Crisis on the Contemporary Issues in Economic Regulation of Airports," Equilibrium, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 6, pages 142-154.
- Pavlyuk, Dmitry, 2012. "Airport Benchmarking and Spatial Competition: a Critical Review," MPRA Paper 43391, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Iltis, 2010. "A brief overview of airport regulation in Europe," Ekonomika a Management, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(3).
- Tiziana D’Alfonso & Cinzia Daraio & Alberto Nastasi, 2013. "Assesing the Impact of Competition on the Efficiency of Italian Airports," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-01, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Evangelinos, Christos & Püschel, Ronny & Goldhahn, Susan, 2011. "Inverting the regulatory rules? Optimizing airport regulation to account for commercial revenues," Discussion Papers 1/2011, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
- McLay, Peter & Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling, 2006. "Competition between airport terminals: The issues facing Dublin Airport," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 181-203, February.
- Benjamin Dachis, 2014. "Full Throttle: Reforming Canada's Aviation Policy," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 398, January.
- Rui Cunha Marques & Ana Oliveira-Brochado, 2007. "Comparing Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Regulator?," FEP Working Papers 259, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Marques, Rui Cunha & Brochado, Ana, 2008. "Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 163-172, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.