Optimal route allocation in a liberalizing airline market
AbstractAirlines often encounter two major problems in expanding their international networks: (1) restrictive Air Services Agreements (ASAs) governing airlines' commercial rights, and (2) slot / capacity constraints in foreign hub airports. Government interventions are needed to solve these problems, yet few quantitative models are available to guide the design of related public policies. This paper proposes a new model for optimizing the allocation of additional routes in a liberalizing airline market, in which airport capacity constraints are explicitly considered. The proposed model captures the interactions among three types of agents: (1) a regulator who aims to maximize social welfare by optimizing the allocation of additional routes to competing carriers; (2) airlines competing with flight frequency and airfare; and (3) passengers who minimize their own travel disutility (or equivalently maximize utility) given airlines' services and prices. In the proposed model, the passenger demand elasticity is also explicitly considered. The route allocation model is formulated as a 0-1 integer programming problem, and is solved by a heuristic implicit enumeration approach. The Korean - mainland China - Hong Kong airline market serves as model illustration. The effects of airport slot constraints are examined, and the revealed value (marginal welfare gain) of airport capacity expansion is also calculated, which can potentially serve as a benchmark indicator for the planning of airport investments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaowen Fu & Mark Lijesen & Tae H. Oum, 2006.
"An Analysis of Airport Pricing and Regulation in the Presence of Competition Between Full Service Airlines and Low Cost Carriers,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 40(3), pages 425-447, September.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Xiaowen Fu & Mark Lijesen, 2005. "An Analysis of Airport Pricing and Regulation in the Presence of Competition Between Full Service Airlines and Low Cost Carriers," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-316, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Zhi-Chun Li & William Lam & S. Wong, 2009. "The Optimal Transit Fare Structure under Different Market Regimes with Uncertainty in the Network," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 191-216, June.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2004.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 291-312, 06.
- Swan, William M. & Adler, Nicole, 2006. "Aircraft trip cost parameters: A function of stage length and seat capacity," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 105-115, March.
- Hansen, Mark, 1990. "Airline competition in a hub-dominated environment: An application of noncooperative game theory," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 27-43, February.
- Hong, Sungwook & Harker, Patrick T., 1992. "Air traffic network equilibrium: Toward frequency, price and slot priority analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 307-323, August.
- Adler, Nicole & Smilowitz, Karen, 2007. "Hub-and-spoke network alliances and mergers: Price-location competition in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 394-409, May.
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1999. "Equilibria in Networks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1407-1434, November.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2000. "Airport and Airline Competition for Passengers Departing from a Large Metropolitan Area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-45, July.
- Larsson, Torbjörn & Patriksson, Michael, 1995. "An augmented lagrangean dual algorithm for link capacity side constrained traffic assignment problems," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 433-455, December.
- Adler, Nicole, 2001. "Competition in a deregulated air transportation market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 337-345, March.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 1995. "Airline Network Rivalry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(4a), pages 836-57, November.
- Berry, Steven T, 1992. "Estimation of a Model of Entry in the Airline Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 889-917, July.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Lam, William H.K. & Li, Zhi-Chun & Huang, Hai-Jun & Wong, S.C., 2006. "Modeling time-dependent travel choice problems in road networks with multiple user classes and multiple parking facilities," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 368-395, June.
- Hsu, Chaug-Ing & Wen, Yuh-Horng, 2003. "Determining flight frequencies on an airline network with demand-supply interactions," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 417-441, November.
- Wei, Wenbin & Hansen, Mark, 2005. "Impact of aircraft size and seat availability on airlines' demand and market share in duopoly markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 315-327, July.
- Zhang, Anming & Wei, Xin, 1993. "Competition in airline networks : The case of constant elasticity demands," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(2-3), pages 253-259.
- Takebayashi, Mikio & Kanafani, Adib, 2005. "Network Competition in Air Transportation Markets: Bi-Level Approach," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-119, January.
- Lau, Yui Yip & Lei, Zheng & Fu, Xiaowen & Ng, Adolf K.Y., 2012. "The implications of the re-establishment of direct links across the Taiwan Strait on the aviation industries in Greater China," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 3-12.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.