High-speed rail and air transport competition: Game engineering as tool for cost-benefit analysis
AbstractThis research develops a methodology to assess infrastructure investments and their effects on transport equilibria taking into account competition between multiple privatized transport operator types. The operators, including high-speed rail, hub-and-spoke legacy airlines and regional low-cost carriers, maximize best response functions via prices, frequency and train/plane sizes, given infrastructure provision, cost functions and environmental charges. The methodology is subsequently applied to all 27 European Union countries, specifically analyzing four of the prioritized Trans-European networks. The general conclusions suggest that the European Union, if interested in maximizing overall social welfare, should encourage the development of the high-speed rail network across Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albers, Sascha & BÃ¼hne, Jan-AndrÃ© & Peters, Heiko, 2009. "Will the EU-ETS instigate airline network reconfigurations?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-6.
- Economides, Nicholas & Salop, Steven C, 1992. "Competition and Integration among Complements, and Network Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 105-23, March.
- Hansen, Mark, 1990. "Airline competition in a hub-dominated environment: An application of noncooperative game theory," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 27-43, February.
- Nijkamp, Peter, 1995. "From missing networks to interoperable networks : The need for European cooperation in the railway sector," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 159-167, July.
- Small, Kenneth A & Rosen, Harvey S, 1981.
"Applied Welfare Economics with Discrete Choice Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 105-30, January.
- Harvey S. Rosen & Kenneth A. Small, 1981. "Applied Welfare Economics with Discrete Choice Models," NBER Working Papers 0319, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Martín & Gustavo Nombela, 2007. "Microeconomic impacts of investments in high speed trains in Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 715-733, September.
- Bel, Germà, 1997. "Changes in travel time across modes and its impact on the demand for inter-urban rail travel," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 43-52, March.
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1999. "Equilibria in Networks," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1407-1434, November.
- Bhaumik, P. K., 2002. "Regulating the domestic air travel in India: an umpire's game," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 33-44, February.
- Swan, William M. & Adler, Nicole, 2006. "Aircraft trip cost parameters: A function of stage length and seat capacity," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 105-115, March.
- Benedikt Mandel & Marc Gaudry & Werner Rothengatter, 1997. "A disaggregate Box-Cox Logit mode choice model of intercity passenger travel in Germany and its implications for high-speed rail demand forecasts," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 99-120.
- Morrell, Peter, 2007. "An evaluation of possible EU air transport emissions trading scheme allocation methods," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5562-5570, November.
- Calthrop, Edward & De Borger, Bruno & Proost, Stef, 2010.
"Cost-benefit analysis of transport investments in distorted economies,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 850-869, August.
- Edward Calthrop & Bruno De Borger & Stef Proost, 2008. "Cost-benefit analysis of transport investments in distorted economies," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0818, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Calthrop E. & De Borger B. & Proost S., 2008. "Cost-Benefit analysis of transport investments in distorted economies," Working Papers 2008011, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Ginés de Rus & Gustavo Nombela, 2007. "Is Investment in High Speed Rail Socially Profitable?," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 41(1), pages 3-23, January.
- Brons, Martijn & Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2002. "Price elasticities of demand for passenger air travel: a meta-analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 165-175.
- Adler, Nicole, 2001. "Competition in a deregulated air transportation market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 337-345, March.
- Roger Vickerman, 1997. "High-speed rail in Europe: experience and issues for future development," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 21-38.
- Sichelschmidt, H., 1999. "The EU programme "trans-European networks"--a critical assessment," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 169-181, July.
- David Gillen & David Levinson & Jean Michel Mathieu & Adib Kanafani, 1997.
"The full cost of high-speed rail: an engineering approach,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 189-215.
- David Levinson & Jean-Michel Mathieu & Adib Kanafani & David Gillen, 1997. "The Full Cost of High-Speed Rail: An Engineering Approach," Working Papers 199705, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Mar González-Savignat, 2004. "Competition in Air Transport," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 77-107, January.
- Hong, Sungwook & Harker, Patrick T., 1992. "Air traffic network equilibrium: Toward frequency, price and slot priority analysis," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 307-323, August.
- Vicente Inglada & GinÊs de Rus, 1997. "Cost-benefit analysis of the high-speed train in Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 175-188.
- Adler, Nicole & Smilowitz, Karen, 2007. "Hub-and-spoke network alliances and mergers: Price-location competition in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 394-409, May.
- van Exel, Job & Rienstra, Sytze & Gommers, Michael & Pearman, Alan & Tsamboulas, Dimitrios, 2002. "EU involvement in TEN development: network effects and European value added," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 299-311, October.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2000. "Airport and Airline Competition for Passengers Departing from a Large Metropolitan Area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-45, July.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Börjesson, Maria, 2013. "On timetable assumptions in railway investment appraisal," Working papers in Transport Economics 2013:31, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
- Feng, Xuesong, 2011. "Optimization of target speeds of high-speed railway trains for traction energy saving and transport efficiency improvement," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7658-7665.
- Behrens, Christiaan & Pels, Eric, 2012. "Intermodal competition in the London–Paris passenger market: High-Speed Rail and air transport," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 278-288.
- Yang, Hangjun & Zhang, Anming, 2012. "Effects of high-speed rail and air transport competition on prices, profits and welfare," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1322-1333.
- Dobruszkes, Frédéric, 2011. "High-speed rail and air transport competition in Western Europe: A supply-oriented perspective," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 870-879, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.