Optimal starting location of an HOV lane for a linear monocentric urban area
AbstractThis paper analyzes the optimal starting location of a high-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) lane for a linear monocentric urban area. Both travel time and carpooling costs are taken into account. The research proposes an analytical framework for the case with a continuum demand distribution along a highway corridor. The objective is assumed to maximize social welfare of the transportation system, which is the difference between the total user benefit and travel cost. Numerical analysis via simulation experiments was conducted to seek the existence of an optimal solution. Based on the results of a sensitivity analysis, we find a specific relationship between the carpooling cost and the optimal design of the starting point of an HOV lane.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Hai & Huang, Hai-Jun, 1999. "Carpooling and congestion pricing in a multilane highway with high-occupancy-vehicle lanes," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 139-155, February.
- Varaiya, Pravin, 2005. "What We've Learned About Highway Congestion," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt31j7k3b4, University of California Transportation Center.
- Tsai, Jyh-Fa & Chu, Chih-Peng, 2010. "Analysis of the optimal length of road expansion - A case study of the Taipei metropolitan area," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 147-158, March.
- Correia, Gonçalo & Viegas, José Manuel, 2011. "Carpooling and carpool clubs: Clarifying concepts and assessing value enhancement possibilities through a Stated Preference web survey in Lisbon, Portugal," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 81-90, February.
- Wang, Judith Y. T. & Yang, Hai & Lindsey, Robin, 2004. "Locating and pricing park-and-ride facilities in a linear monocentric city with deterministic mode choice," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 709-731, September.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2003. "Optimal cordon pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 21-38, July.
- Dahlgren, Joy, 1998. "High occupancy vehicle lanes: Not always more effective than general purpose lanes," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 99-114, February.
- Shaheen, Susan & Sperling, Daniel & Wagner, Conrad, 1999. "Carsharing and Partnership Management: An International Perspective," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0vw7t2b1, University of California Transportation Center.
- Dahlgren, Joy, 2002. "High-occupancy/toll lanes: where should they be implemented?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 239-255, March.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.