Carpooling and congestion pricing in a multilane highway with high-occupancy-vehicle lanes
AbstractHigh-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) lanes and toll differentiation have been used as efficient measures to address growing traffic congestion problems by providing priority treatment for buses and carpools. This paper deals with carpooling behavior and optimal congestion pricing in a multilane highway with or without HOV lanes. It is shown that in the absence of HOV lanes, a uniform toll for all vehicles (independent of their number of occupants) should be charged to achieve a first-best social optimum. However, in the presence of HOV lanes, first-best pricing for a social optimum requires differentiating the toll per vehicle across segregated lanes. In the case where toll differentiation cannot be applied, the optimal uniform toll for the second-best solution in the presence of HOV lanes should be set to be a weighted average of the marginal external congestion costs between non-carpooling and carpooling commuters. Our theoretical observations have strong practical implications for combined implementation of HOV lanes and congestion pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 33 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verhoef, Erik & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1996. "Second-Best Congestion Pricing: The Case of an Untolled Alternative," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 279-302, November.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-79, March.
- Yang, Hai & Huang, Hai-Jun, 1998. "Principle of marginal-cost pricing: how does it work in a general road network?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 45-54, January.
- Yang, Hai & Bell, Michael G. H., 1997. "Traffic restraint, road pricing and network equilibrium," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 303-314, August.
- Braid, Ralph M., 1996. "Peak-Load Pricing of a Transportation Route with an Unpriced Substitute," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 179-197, September.
- Lee, Li Way, 1984. "The Economics of Carpools," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 128-35, January.
- Yan, Hai & Lam, William H. K., 1996. "Optimal road tolls under conditions of queueing and congestion," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 319-332, September.
- Yang, Hai & Hai-Jun, Huang, 1997. "Analysis of the time-varying pricing of a bottleneck with elastic demand using optimal control theory," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 425-440, November.
- de Palma, André & Kilani, Moez & Lindsey, Robin, 2008. "The merits of separating cars and trucks," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 340-361, September.
- Verhoef, E.T. & Small, K.A., 1999.
"Product Differentiation on Roads Second-Best Congestion Pricing with Heterogeneity under Public and Private Ownership,"
99-00-01, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Erik T. Verhoef & Kenneth A. Small, 1999. "Product Differentiation on Roads: Second-Best Congestion Pricing with Heterogeneity under Public and Private Ownership," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Verhoef, Erik Teodoor & Small, Kenneth A., 1999. "Product Differentiation on Roads: Second-Best Congestion Pricing with Heterogeneity under Public and Private Ownership," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa358, European Regional Science Association.
- Hideo Konishi & Se-il Mun, 2009.
"Carpooling and Congestion Pricing: HOV and HOT Lanes,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
719, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Konishi, Hideo & Mun, Se-il, 2010. "Carpooling and congestion pricing: HOV and HOT lanes," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 173-186, July.
- Jonathan E. Hughes & Daniel Kaffine, 2013. "When is Encouraging Consumption of Common Property Second Best? Sorting, Congestion and Entry in the Commons," Working Papers 2013-05, Colorado School of Mines, Division of Economics and Business.
- Yao, Tao & Friesz, Terry L. & Wei, Mike Mingcheng & Yin, Yafeng, 2010. "Congestion derivatives for a traffic bottleneck," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(10), pages 1149-1165, December.
- Furuhata, Masabumi & Dessouky, Maged & Ordóñez, Fernando & Brunet, Marc-Etienne & Wang, Xiaoqing & Koenig, Sven, 2013. "Ridesharing: The state-of-the-art and future directions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 28-46.
- Yao, Tao & Wei, Mike Mingcheng & Zhang, Bo & Friesz, Terry, 2012. "Congestion derivatives for a traffic bottleneck with heterogeneous commuters," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1454-1473.
- Chu, Chih-Peng & Tsai, Jyh-Fa & Hu, Shou-Ren, 2012. "Optimal starting location of an HOV lane for a linear monocentric urban area," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 457-466.
- Finkleman, Jeremy & Casello, Jeffrey & Fu, Liping, 2011. "Empirical evidence from the Greater Toronto Area on the acceptability and impacts of HOT lanes," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 814-824, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.