Understanding capacity through the processes and outcomes of interorganizational relationships in nonprofit community sport organizations
AbstractEngaging in relationships with other organizations is one way for nonprofit community sport organizations (CSOs) to acquire needed resources, knowledge, and other social benefits while achieving important public purposes and building community cohesion. This study explored the processes and outcomes of interorganizational relationships in CSOs through semi-structured interviews with presidents of these organizations (N=20). The findings revealed key relationship processes including trust, consistency, balance, and engagement as well as specific management skills. The findings also revealed that relationships impacted CSOs through enabling improvements to program/service quality and operations, and enhancing community presence. The study contributes to the interorganizational relationship literature and our understanding of how relationships advance organizational goals in this small nonprofit context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Sport Management Review.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vera Belaya & Jon Henrich Hanf, 2009. "A multi-theoretical perspective on power in managing interorganizational relationships," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(11), pages 1040-1049, October.
- Brinkerhoff, Jennifer M., 2002. "Assessing and improving partnership relationships and outcomes: a proposed framework," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 215-231, August.
- Ariño, Africa & de la Torre, Jose & Ring, Peter S., 2001. "Relational quality: Managing trust in corporate alliances," IESE Research Papers D/434, IESE Business School.
- Hoye, Russell & Cuskelly, Graham, 2003. "Board-Executive Relationships within Voluntary Sport Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 53-73, May.
- Ritter, Thomas & Gemunden, Hans Georg, 2003. "Interorganizational relationships and networks: An overview," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(9), pages 691-697, September.
- Wicker, Pamela & Breuer, Christoph, 2011. "Scarcity of resources in German non-profit sport clubs," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 188-201, May.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.