The competitiveness of nations and implications for human development
AbstractHuman development should be the ultimate objective of human activity, its aim being healthier, longer, and fuller lives. Thus, if the competitiveness of a nation is properly managed, enhanced human welfare should be the key expected consequence. The research described here explores the relationship between the competitiveness of a nation and its implications for human development. For this purpose, 45 countries were evaluated initially using data envelopment analysis. In this stage, global competitiveness indicators were taken as input variables with human development index indicators as output variables. Subsequently, an artificial neural network analysis was conducted to identify those factors having the greatest impact on efficiency scores.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/seps
Competitiveness of nations Human development Data envelopment analysis Artificial neural networks;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1996. "Technology and Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 39-51, Autumn.
- Anand, Sudhir & Sen, Amartya, 2000. "Human Development and Economic Sustainability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2029-2049, December.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 2001. "Competitiveness Indices and Developing Countries: An Economic Evaluation of the Global Competitiveness Report," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Cubbin, John & Tzanidakis, George, 1998. "Regression versus data envelopment analysis for efficiency measurement: an application to the England and Wales regulated water industry," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 75-85, June.
- Swanson, N.R. & White, H., 1995.
"A Models Selection Approach to Real-Time Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Linear Models and Artificial Neural Networks,"
04-95-12, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Norman R. Swanson & Halbert White, 1997. "A Model Selection Approach To Real-Time Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Linear Models And Artificial Neural Networks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 540-550, November.
- Norman R. Swanson & Halbert White, 1995. "A Model Selection Approach to Real-Time Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Linear Models and Artificial Neural Networks," Macroeconomics 9503004, EconWPA.
- Ranis, G. & Ramirez, A. & Stewart, F., 1997.
"Economic Growth and Human Development,"
787, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2006.
"Environment, human development and economic growth,"
Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre'
0062, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Costantini, Valeria & Monni, Salvatore, 2008. "Environment, human development and economic growth," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 867-880, February.
- Valeria Costantini & Salvatore Monni, 2006. "Environment, Human Development and Economic Growth," Working Papers 2006.35, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Oral, Muhittin & Chabchoub, Habib, 1996. "On the methodology of the World Competitiveness Report," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 514-535, May.
- Boltho, Andrea, 1996. "The Assessment: International Competitiveness," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 1-16, Autumn.
- Mundle, Sudipto, 1998. "Introduction to special section of World Development on financing human development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 657-658, April.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- Hwarng, H. Brian & Ang, H. T., 2001. "A simple neural network for ARMA(p,q) time series," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 319-333, August.
- Oral, Muhittin & Chabchoub, Habib, 1997. "An estimation model for replicating the rankings of the world competitiveness report," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 527-537, December.
- Aiginger, K., 1998. "A framework for evaluating the dynamic competitiveness of countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 159-188, June.
- Retzlaff-Roberts, Donna & Chang, Cyril F. & Rubin, Rose M., 2004. "Technical efficiency in the use of health care resources: a comparison of OECD countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 55-72, July.
- Emrouznejad, Ali & Parker, Barnett R. & Tavares, Gabriel, 2008. "Evaluation of research in efficiency and productivity: A survey and analysis of the first 30 years of scholarly literature in DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 151-157, September.
- Burki, Abid A. & Terrell, Dek, 1998. "Measuring production efficiency of small firms in Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 155-169, January.
- Akhter, Syed H., 2004. "Is globalization what it's cracked up to be? Economic freedom, corruption, and human development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 283-295, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Zanakis, Stelios H. & Becerra-Fernandez, Irma, 2005. "Competitiveness of nations: A knowledge discovery examination," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 185-211, October.
- Golany, Boaz & Thore, Sten, 1997. "The Economic and Social Performance of Nations: Efficiency and Returns to Scale," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 191-204, September.
- Despotis, D.K., 2005. "Measuring human development via data envelopment analysis: the case of Asia and the Pacific," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 385-390, October.
- Oral, Muhittin & Cinar, Unver & Chabchoub, Habib, 1999. "Linking industrial competitiveness and productivity at the firm level," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 271-277, October.
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Po-Chin Wu & Chiung-Wen Fan & Sheng-Chieh Pan, 2014. "Does Human Development Index Provide Rational Development Rankings? Evidence from Efficiency Rankings in Super Efficiency Model," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 647-658, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.