Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality
AbstractThis paper examines some consequences of the assumption that individuals constrain morally their behaviour in games in general and in games of voluntary provision of public good in particular. Moral behaviour is defined in terms of a maxim which assigns one moral action to every player. Maxims themselves are defined with respect to a system of moral equivalence between individual actions referred to as a system of moral universalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Other versions of this item:
- M. Bilodeau & N. Gravel, 1997. "Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality," THEMA Working Papers 97-31, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Bilodeau, M. & Gravel, N., 1997. "Voluntary Provision of a Public Good and Individual Morality," Papers 9731, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1984.
"Rationalizable Strategic Behavior,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 1007-28, July.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C, 1995.
"On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 58-81, March.
- Ted Bergstrom, . "On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings," Papers _023, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom, . "On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings," ELSE working papers 017, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "Macroeconomic Constraints, Economic Efficiency and Ethics: An Introduction to Kantian Economics," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(168), pages 430-37, November.
- Sugden, Robert, 1984. "Reciprocity: The Supply of Public Goods through Voluntary Contributions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376), pages 772-87, December.
- Young, Douglas J., 1989. "A `fair share' model of public good provision," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 137-147, January.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Guttman, Joel M, 1978. "Understanding Collective Action: Matching Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 251-55, May.
- Shitovitz, Benyamin & Spiegel, Menahem, 1998. "Cournot-Nash and Lindahl Equilibria in Pure Public Good Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Anthony Heyes & Sandeep Kapur, 2010.
"Regulating Altruistic Agents,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
1010, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Jeffrey Wagner & Luiz Freitas, 2007. "Capturing moral economic context," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(14), pages 1-10.
- Freitas, Luiz & Wagner, Jeffrey, 2009. "The uncertain moral context of price changes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1100-1105, February.
- Kesternich, Martin & Lange, Andreas & Sturm, Bodo, 2012. "The impact of burden sharing rules on the voluntary provision of public goods," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-033, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Steeve Mongrain, 2006.
"Redistributive Taxation Under Ethical Behaviour,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Jeffrey Wagner, 2007. "Plato's Republic and liberal economic education for the twenty-first century," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(2), pages 1-10.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2007.
"Justifying the Lindahl solution as an outcome of fair cooperation,"
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 157-169, October.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2005. "Justifying the Lindahl Solution as an Outcome of Fair Cooperation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1536, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno Deffains & Claude Fluet, 2013.
"Legal Liability when Individuals Have Moral Concerns,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 930-955, August.
- Bruno Deffains & Claude Fluet, 2009. "Legal Liability when Individuals Have Moral Concerns," Cahiers de recherche 0951, CIRPEE.
- Robert Oxoby, 2013. "Paretian dictators: constraining choice in a voluntary contribution game," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 125-138, June.
- Luca Corazzini, Ugo Gianazza, 2006. "Asymmetric Contributions from Identical Agents in a Local Interaction Model," ISLA Working Papers 24, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2007.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 2008. "Paradoxes of the War on Poverty: Warm-Glows and Efficiency," IDEP Working Papers 0807, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 18 Nov 2008.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2007:i:2:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:14:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.