Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality
AbstractThis paper examines some consequences of the assumption that individuals constrain morally their behaviour in games in general and in games of voluntary provision of public good in particular. Moral behaviour is defined in terms of a maxim which assigns one moral action to every player. Maxims themselves are defined with respect to a system of moral equivalence between individual actions referred to as a system of moral universalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Other versions of this item:
- Bilodeau, M. & Gravel, N., 1997. "Voluntary Provision of a Public Good and Individual Morality," Papers, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor. 9731, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- M. Bilodeau & N. Gravel, 1997. "Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality," THEMA Working Papers 97-31, THEMA (THÃ©orie Economique, ModÃ©lisation et Applications), UniversitÃ© de Cergy-Pontoise.
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Young, Douglas J., 1989. "A `fair share' model of public good provision," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 137-147, January.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "Macroeconomic Constraints, Economic Efficiency and Ethics: An Introduction to Kantian Economics," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(168), pages 430-37, November.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Sugden, Robert, 1984. "Reciprocity: The Supply of Public Goods through Voluntary Contributions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376), pages 772-87, December.
- Shitovitz, Benyamin & Spiegel, Menahem, 1998. "Cournot-Nash and Lindahl Equilibria in Pure Public Good Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1984.
"Rationalizable Strategic Behavior,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 1007-28, July.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C, 1995.
"On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 58-81, March.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom, . "On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings," ELSE working papers 017, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Ted Bergstrom, . "On the Evolution of Altruistic Ethical Rules for Siblings," Papers _023, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Guttman, Joel M, 1978. "Understanding Collective Action: Matching Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 251-55, May.
- Emel Filiz-Ozbay & Erkut Ozbay, 2014. "Effect of an audience in public goods provision," Experimental Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 200-214, June.
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Steeve Mongrain, 2006.
"Redistributive Taxation Under Ethical Behaviour,"
Cahiers de recherche, CIRPEE
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Steeve Mongrain, 2007. "Redistributive Taxation under Ethical Behaviour," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(3), pages 505-529, 09.
- Bruno Deffains & Claude Fluet, 2013.
"Legal Liability when Individuals Have Moral Concerns,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 930-955, August.
- Bruno Deffains & Claude Fluet, 2009. "Legal Liability when Individuals Have Moral Concerns," Cahiers de recherche, CIRPEE 0951, CIRPEE.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:14:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Freitas, Luiz & Wagner, Jeffrey, 2009. "The uncertain moral context of price changes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(4), pages 1100-1105, February.
- Anthony Heyes & Sandeep Kapur, 2011.
"Regulating altruistic agents,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(1), pages 227-246, February.
- Anthony Heyes & Sandeep Kapur, 2010. "Regulating Altruistic Agents," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics 1010, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Luca Corazzini, Ugo Gianazza, 2006. "Asymmetric Contributions from Identical Agents in a Local Interaction Model," ISLA Working Papers, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy 24, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2007.
- Jeffrey Wagner & Luiz Freitas, 2007. "Capturing moral economic context," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(14), pages 1-10.
- Robert Oxoby, 2013. "Paretian dictators: constraining choice in a voluntary contribution game," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 125-138, June.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2007.
"Justifying the Lindahl solution as an outcome of fair cooperation,"
Public Choice, Springer,
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 157-169, October.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Wolfgang Peters, 2005. "Justifying the Lindahl Solution as an Outcome of Fair Cooperation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1536, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kesternich, Martin & Lange, Andreas & Sturm, Bodo, 2012. "The impact of burden sharing rules on the voluntary provision of public goods," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-033, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Serge-Christophe Kolm, 2008. "Paradoxes of the War on Poverty: Warm-Glows and Efficiency," IDEP Working Papers, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France 0807, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 18 Nov 2008.
- Jeffrey Wagner, 2007. "Plato's Republic and liberal economic education for the twenty-first century," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(2), pages 1-10.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2007:i:2:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.