E-commerce and efficiency at the firm level
AbstractThis paper addresses the effect of Internet use on efficiency heterogeneity among firms. It uses a rich dataset for Spanish manufacturing firms in the period 2000-2005. The empirical framework is based on the simultaneous specification of stochastic frontier and inefficiency effects. The results suggest that, after controlling for additional sources of heterogeneity, e-buying process has a positive influence on firm efficiency. However, it becomes non-significant in the case of e-selling. These results are compared with those obtained in previous empirical papers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 126 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
E-commerce Efficiency Stochastic frontier;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrizio Pagano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2003.
"Firm Size Distribution and Growth,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 255-274, 06.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2008.
"A Retrospective Look at the U.S. Productivity Growth Resurgence,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 3-24, Winter.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2007. "A retrospective look at the U.S. productivity growth resurgence," Staff Reports 277, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Thompson, Herbert Jr. & Garbacz, Christopher, 2007. "Mobile, fixed line and Internet service effects on global productive efficiency," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 189-214, June.
- Bertschek, Irene & Fryges, Helmut & Kaiser, Ulrich, 2004.
"B2B or Not to Be: Does B2B E-Commerce Increase Labour Productivity?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-45, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Irene Bertschek & Helmut Fryges & Ulrich Kaiser, 2006. "B2B or Not to Be: Does B2B E-Commerce Increase Labour Productivity?," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 387-405.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Robert H. McGuckin & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2001.
"The Impact Of Vintage And Survival On Productivity: Evidence From Cohorts Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 323-332, May.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Robert H McGuckin & Kevin J Stiroh, 2000. "The Impact of Vintage and Survival on Productivity: Evidence from Cohorts of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Working Papers 00-06, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Robert H. McGuckin & Kevin Stiroh, 2000. "The Impact of Vintage and Survival on Productivity: Evidence from Cohorts of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Economics Program Working Papers 00-01, The Conference Board, Economics Program.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruni, M.E. & Conforti, D. & Beraldi, P. & Tundis, E., 2009. "Probabilistically constrained models for efficiency and dominance in DEA," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 219-228, January.
- Timothy Dunne, 1994. "Plant Age and Technology Use in US. Manufacturing Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(3), pages 488-499, Autumn.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2007.
"Firm-level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 121-137, March.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2004. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d03-14, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2003. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Discussion papers 03021, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006.
"Innovation and Productivity Across Four European Countries,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 483-498, Winter.
- Rachel Griffith & Elena Huergo & Jacques Mairesse & Bettina Peters, 2006. "Innovation and Productivity across Four European Countries," NBER Working Papers 12722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1996.
"The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Engogenous,"
NBER Working Papers
4026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Griliches, Zvi, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Endogenous," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 343-61, July-Aug..
- Klette, T.J., 1992. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators when Output Prices are unobserved and Endogenous," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1586, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "The Inconsistency of Common Scales Estimators when Output Prices are Unobserved and Endogenous," Discussion Papers 127, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Anna Bottasso & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2004. "Does ownership affect firms’ efficiency? Panel data evidence on Italy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 769-786, December.
- Ganeshan, Ram & Boone, Tonya & Aggarwal, Prabhu, 2009. "Optimal procurement portfolios when using B2Bs: A model and analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 146-151, March.
- Wu, Zai Bin & Yeung, Godfrey & Mok, Vincent & Han, Zhaozhou, 2007. "Firm-specific knowledge and technical efficiency of watch and clock manufacturing firms in China," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 317-332, June.
- Thomas Hempell, 2005. "What’s spurious, what’s real? Measuring the productivity impacts of ICT at the firm-level," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 427-464, 09.
- Bertschek, Irene & Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001.
"Productivity effects of organizational change: microeconometric evidence,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-32, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Irene Bertschek & Ulrich Kaiser, 2004. "Productivity Effects of Organizational Change: Microeconometric Evidence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(3), pages 394-404, March.
- Stender, Michael & Ritz, Thomas, 2006. "Modeling of B2B mobile commerce processes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 128-139, May.
- Aggarwal, Prabhu & Ganeshan, Ram, 2007. "Using risk-management tools on B2Bs: An exploratory investigation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(1-2), pages 2-7, July.
- B. K. Atrostic & Sang V. Nguyen, 2005. "It and Productivity in U.S. Manufacturing: Do Computer Networks Matter?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(3), pages 493-506, July.
- Reifschneider, David & Stevenson, Rodney, 1991. "Systematic Departures from the Frontier: A Framework for the Analysis of Firm Inefficiency," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 715-23, August.
- Mark E. Doms & J . Bradford Jensen, 1998. "Comparing Wages, Skills, and Productivity between Domestically and Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Establishments in the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Geography and Ownership as Bases for Economic Accounting, pages 235-258 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Nurmilaakso, Juha-Miikka, 2008. "Adoption of e-business functions and migration from EDI-based to XML-based e-business frameworks in supply chain integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 721-733, June.
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nicola Matteucci & Mary O'Mahony & Catherine Robinson & Thomas Zwick, 2005. "Productivity, Workplace Performance And Ict: Industry And Firm-Level Evidence For Europe And The Us," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(3), pages 359-386, 07.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Ruby Roy Dholakia & Nir Kshetri, 2004. "Factors Impacting the Adoption of the Internet among SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 311-322, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.