Technical efficiency of Spanish manufacturing firms: a panel data approach
AbstractThis paper estimates the levels of technical efficiency reached by Spanish manufacturing firms, through an econometric estimation of frontier production functions for fifteen sectors of activity, and also, obtains other relevant technological measurements of these productive processes such as the scale and the technical progress parameters. The methodology used is the panel data methods (Schmidt and Sickles, 1984). The statistical source is provided by the Survey on Business Strategies (Encuesta Sobre Estrategias Empresariales), a panel of data covering 855 Spanish manufacturing firms observed over the period 1990-1994. Our econometric results confirm the great heterogeneity in the firms' efficiency, the predominance of constant returns to scale and the great rate of technological progress.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ivan Stoykov & Paraskeva Dimitrova, 2003. "Modelling Firm Activity," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 3-24.
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C., 2006. "Efficiency and productivity analyses of Indonesian manufacturing industries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 979-995, December.
- Yélou, Clément & Larue, Bruno & Tran, Kien C., 2010. "Threshold effects in panel data stochastic frontier models of dairy production in Canada," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 641-647, May.
- M. Diaz & Rosario Sanchez, 2008. "Firm size and productivity in Spain: a stochastic frontier analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 315-323, March.
- Pisa, M. Isabel & Sánchez, Rosario, 2013. "Work incentive and productivity in Spain," MPRA Paper 46487, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sánchez, Rosario/R & Diaz, M. Angeles, 2013. "Are large innovative firms more efficient?," MPRA Paper 44592, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.