The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators when Output Prices are unobserved and Endogenous
AbstractThis paper explores the inconsistency of common scale estimators when output is proxied by deflated sales, based on a common output deflator across firms. The problems arise when firms operate in an imperfectly competitive environment and prices differ between firms. In particular, we show that this problem reveals itself as a downward bias in the scale estimates obtained from production function regressions, under a variety of assumptions about the pattern of technology, demand and factor price shocks. The result also holds for scale estimates obtained from cost functions. The analysis is carried one step further by adding a model of product demand. Within this augmented model we examine the probability limit of the scale estimate obtained from an ordinary production function regression. This analysis reveals that the OLS estimate will be biased towards unity - or possibly a value below unity. We have included an empirical section which illustrates the issues. The empirical analysis presents a tentative approach to avoid the problems discussed in the theoretical part of this paper.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute of Economic Research in its series Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers with number 1586.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
market ; economic theory ; production ; behaviour;
Other versions of this item:
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Griliches, Zvi, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Endogenous," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 343-61, July-Aug..
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "The Inconsistency of Common Scales Estimators when Output Prices are Unobserved and Endogenous," Discussion Papers 127, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Engogenous," NBER Working Papers 4026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1991.
"A Quick Refresher Course in Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
3256, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Matthew D, 1987.
"Are Cyclical Fluctuations in Productivity Due More to Supply Shocks or Demand Shocks?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 118-24, May.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1987. "Are Cyclical Fluctuations in Productivity Due More to Supply Shocks or Demand Shocks?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 822, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1989. "Are Cyclical Fluctuations in Productivity Due More to Supply Shocks or Demand Shocks?," NBER Working Papers 2147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman, 1986.
"Industrial Organization and International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
1957, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1988. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, R.J. & Lyons, R.K., 1991. "Some Evidence of Productivity Linkages in Manufacturing," Papers fb-27, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Ringstad, Vidar, 1974. "Some Empirical Evidence on the Decreasing Scale Elasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 87-101, January.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1981. "Productivity and R and D at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 0826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- Caleb A. Smith, 1955. "Survey of the Empirical Evidence on Economies of Scale," NBER Chapters, in: Business Concentration and Price Policy, pages 213-238 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Ricardo J. Caballero & Richard K. Lyons, 1991.
"Short and Long Run Externalities,"
NBER Working Papers
3810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Jacques Mairesse & Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Heterogeneity in Panel Data: Are There Stable Production Functions?," NBER Working Papers 2619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eden, B. & Griliches, Z., 1991.
"Prodoctivity, Market Power and Capacity Utilization when Spot Market Are Complete,"
91-06, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Eden, Benjamin & Griliches, Zvi, 1993. "Productivity, Market Power, and Capacity Utilization When Spot Markets Are Complete," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 219-23, May.
- Benjamin Eden & Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Productivity, Market Power and Capacity Utilization When Spot Markets are Complete," NBER Working Papers 3697, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.